Details: Salary is commensurate with experience.
1315 Walnut Street
Juvenile Law Center advocates for rights, dignity, equity and opportunity for all youth in the child welfare and justice systems.
Founded in 1975, Juvenile Law Center is the first non-profit, public interest law firm for children in the country. Through litigation, appellate advocacy and submission of amicus (friend-of-the-court) briefs, policy reform, public education, training, consulting, and strategic communications, we fight for children who come into contact with the child welfare and justice systems. Widely published and internationally recognized as leaders in the field, Juvenile Law Center has substantially shaped the development of law and policy on behalf of youth. We strive to ensure that laws, policies, and practices affecting youth advance racial and economic equity and are rooted in research, consistent with children’s unique developmental characteristics, and reflective of international human rights values.
The Administrative Assistant is the primary point of contact for all incoming external communications and serves as the face and voice of Juvenile Law Center. Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Administrative Assistant manages day-to-day clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining records, and interfacing with visitors and callers.
This position requires flexibility and the ability to multitask; excellent oral and written communication skills; attention to detail; ability to operate a switchboard; strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel, and Outlook; ability to interact with a wide range of stakeholders. This position requires the ability to multitask in an orderly, efficient and calm manner. The Administrative Assistant must be highly organized, an active listener, detail-oriented and flexible.
· Works independently and within a team on special nonrecurring and ongoing projects. Coordinates special projects, at the request of the Director of Operations, which may include: planning and coordinating multiple presentations, disseminating information, and coordinating direct mailings.
· Responsible for the scheduling and coordination of multifaceted activities such as board and staff meetings, appointments and conference calls, conferences, travel arrangements and other logistics.
· Types and designs general correspondences, legal documents, memos, charts, tables, graphs, and presentations. Proofreads copy for spelling, grammar and layout, making appropriate changes.
· Maintains and updates accurate files and records.
· Prepares and copies materials, as requested.
· Serves as staff support for program team webinars.
· Provides general administrative support for JLC staff at the direction of the Director of Operations.
· Maintains ample inventory of common office supplies, adhering to Juvenile Law Center’s standard supply list, ordering supplies when needed at the lowest negotiated price.
· Maintains ample inventory of common kitchen supplies, ordering kitchen supplies when needed at the lowest negotiated price, or notifying appropriate point person within shared office space when supplies are low.
· Coordinates and places catering orders for all meetings, ensuring each catered meeting is supplied with food that meets the dietary needs of attendees, beverages, paper products, silverware, cups and serving utensils.
· Ensures meeting space is clean and orderly prior to and immediately after meetings.
· Greets and welcomes visitors, obtaining names and other pertinent information, and notifies appropriate individuals of visitor’s arrival.
· Answers all incoming calls to Juvenile Law Center’s main phone line, routes call, accurately records caller information and/or provides information in accordance with company policy, and within our Information and Referral team guidelines.
· Maintains security by following procedures and controlling access via the reception desk.
· Receives, sorts and delivers mail daily, accepts and signs for packages and notifies addressee of package arrival. Prepares and sends outgoing mail.
· Maintains clean and orderly reception area.
Required Education and Experience
3+ years of administrative experience in an office environment
Technical proficiency with personal computers and standard office equipment; fluent with Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint); and high comfort level using online tools
Excellent written and verbal skills with a high degree of detail orientation
Preferred Education and Experience
Juvenile Law Center offers excellent health care benefits, disability insurance and life insurance.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter describing interests and experience, a resume, and a list of three references in a single PDF to: Human Resources firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Administrative Assistant Application
Juvenile Law Center is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who are disabled, and those with personal experience in the juvenile justice or child welfare systems to apply. We do not discriminate or exclude prospective employees based on criminal backgrounds, or ex-offender status.