District of Columbia
About Challenger Center:
Challenger Center is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization that inspires, engages, and prepares today’s students for the future through innovative, K-12 science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education programs. With our global network of more than 40 Challenger Learning Centers, we give more than 250,000 students each year the opportunity to become scientists, engineers, and innovators and to work together on inspiring missions like finding life on Mars or preserving ocean species. Through our programs, students apply STEM concepts in the context of real-world challenges; they are exposed to a range of STEM careers; and they practice important skills like teamwork, communication, and problem solving. Ultimately, Challenger Center aims to build a scientifically literate public and shape our future leaders to help improve quality of life across the globe.
Challenger Center is an education organization that utilizes complex, custom technology platforms and software, integrated with custom and off-the-shelf hardware (e.g., science lab equipment, custom apps, 3D printers, and Virtual Reality technology), in all its major programs. Students interact with this technology in Challenger Learning Centers worldwide and using our online platform in classrooms and other settings. We aim to take our newest programs and products to scale in schools and other settings nationwide in the next few years.
The Education Technology Director will work closely with Challenger Center staff and our software vendors to translate our programmatic vision into the software that drives our programs. This person will build an understanding of our current and legacy systems and help refine and execute on a technical roadmap that can accommodate the technical requirements of the independent entities in which our programs are delivered (e.g., Challenger Learning Centers, K-12 schools). He or she will support the design of software components, creating basic prototypes that help our educators refine program specifications. The Education Technology Director will translate program specifications into technical specifications for our technology vendors and will help manage those vendor relationships. He or she will also contribute to the ideation for future programs and assist with fundraising for those activities. The Education Technology Director will also assist with communication and tasks related to our office IT vendor.
Description of Duties:
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Support educators in the design, development, and delivery of technology-driven education programs and products.
- Develop a robust understanding of our current and legacy systems and the technical requirements of the independent entities in which our programs are delivered (e.g., Challenger Learning Centers, schools).
- Refine and execute on a technical roadmap for improving and scaling our systems.
- Strengthen Challenger Center’s software development process, ensuring that best practices are followed for design, testing, and rollout phases.
- Contribute to authoring in our software systems including HTML/Java Script coding
- Support the work of the Education Technology Manager
- Keep abreast of information technology and education technology trends and share knowledge with others.
- Collaborate with leadership to develop strategy for education programs and products.
- Manage education technology-related budgets and timelines.
- Follow Challenger Center's Project Management Process for each education program/product development project.
- Help manage office IT vendor relationship (>10% of duties)
- Coordinate with Education, Community Engagement, Communications, Development, and Finance teams on all products and programs.
- Identify and share funding opportunities with the Education and Development teams.
- Support the development of grant proposals, including drafting content, securing vendor commitment, and estimating budgets.
- Manage external consultants and partners to ensure milestones and deliverables are reached per contracted agreements.
- Present at conferences, meetings and special events, as needed.
- Attend staff meetings, assist with office support, participate in professional networking, and team building activities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in information or education technology required; master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in designing and implementing education technology required.
- 10+ years of relevant experience in the education technology field.
- Ability to code in HTML 5/6/Java Script environments required; Adobe Creative suite knowledge strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of current classroom technologies and how traditional learning environments are changing due to new tools and instructional models preferred.
- Ability to translate programmatic needs into technical specifications and vice versa.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines, and shift priorities and resources as needed.
- Ability to manage external vendors and partners.
- Ability to learn new skills quickly.
- Ability to create complex project budgets.
- Experience with grant funded programming preferred.
- Commitment to work collaboratively with all staff across all teams.
- Self-starter, able to work independently.
- Ability to travel approximately 10%-15% of the time.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation and extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits and future growth opportunities within the company. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
Challenger Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a resume and cover letter with Education Technology Director in the subject line. Only applicants who submit all requirements will be considered. Due to the number of applicants we receive, we regret that we can only respond to candidates that we would like to interview.