Regular FT – 35 hours/week
Director of Legal Services
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Paralegal will be assigned to 3-4 attorneys to coordinate and facilitate compliance with vacate and payment deadlines. The position is responsible for:
- Prescreen potential cases through court-administered legal services programs.
- Draft litigation documents including subpoenas, affidavits, and answers, etc. File court documents for attorneys. Assist attorneys with witness and trial preparation.
- Assist attorneys and clients with outstanding repairs during litigation and subsequent to.
- Conduct legal intake and manage case files. Conduct site visits to monitor access for repairs and document observations.
- Obtain certified copies of documentary evidence from courts and administrative agencies.
- Act as primary contact for clients from intake to resolution and interpret as needed.
- Advocate on behalf of clients with social service organizations, governmental agencies, and other third parties to obtain needed services, benefits, etc.
- Assist with and facilitate evening tenants' rights workshops for program participants and the community-at-large.
- Assist with assembling motions for filling.
- Miscellaneous administrative duties as needed, including data entry and maintaining updated case notes and daily post-office run.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Other duties: Identify, advocate and/or initiate building wide repair resolution in conjunction with tenant organizers.
- Minimum of 2 years working in a legal office setting
- Knowledge of NYC Housing Court, entitlements and rental assistance programs
- Experience working in non-profit organizations and commitment to social justice
- Excellent communication skills and ability to advocate
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with a team
- Entrepreneurial spirit, ability to problem solve and build relationships
Bachelor’s degree required
Paralegal Certificate preferred