The International Refugee Assistance Project (“IRAP”) is the first organization to provide free and comprehensive legal representation to refugees through the registration, protection, and resettlement processes. We are a dynamic and growing legal, policy, and advocacy organization that works to develop and enforce a system of legal and human rights for refugees and displaced persons around the world.
IRAP operates offices in New York, Jordan, and Lebanon. Our legal services are supplemented by a corps of pro bono lawyers from leading U.S. and international law firms and multi-national corporations, and law students who have created IRAP chapters at 29 universities in the United States and Canada.
IRAP believes in action, accountability, innovation, and candor. We are nimble, collaborative, and nonpartisan, and believe in the power of individuals to change their own circumstances. IRAP was founded in 2008 by a group of Yale Law students with a vision to change the status quo of global refugee processing in order to assist the most vulnerable refugees.
IRAP is seeking a Program and Operations Director to lead IRAP’s Legal team in our Amman, Jordan office. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual interested in refugee, human rights, and immigration/international law, and to be part of a growing agency that makes an impact on the lives of refugees. The Program and Operations Director will manage implementation and evaluation of the office’s intake, screening, and referral processes as well as represent IRAP before the United Nations, U.S. and foreign governments, and other relevant agencies. They will also supervise day-to-day operations of the office. The position reports to the Director of Operations, who is based in New York.
- Supervise the Office Manager/Casework Coordinator, Caseworkers, and other non-attorney staff
- Coordinate with Jordan Office Staff Attorneys to ensure successful program implementation
- In consultation with Middle East Field Director (MEFD), manage the volunteer and intern program, including 5-10 active volunteers/interns at a time
- Provide regular coaching and culturally sensitive leadership to guide staff in accomplishing goals
- Oversee all in-country HR management, including the recruitment of personnel, performance reviews for non-attorney staff, development of job descriptions, and determining local salary scales
- Coordinate with MEFD and Lebanon Program & Operations Director to develop annual work plans for all field staff and support team in meeting their targets
- Supervise, monitor, and develop the client screening and intake process to ensure the system works efficiently and prioritizes potential clients’ best interests in consultation with MEFD and legal staff
- Supervise, monitor, and develop the wraparound service referral process to ensure robust mechanisms exist to support most vulnerable clients in consultation with MEFD and legal staff
- Participate in Legal Department procedural groups
- Organize the MENA retreat, including event planning and travel arrangements, in consultation with the MEFD
- Represent IRAP before UN and US government officials and NGO partners in close coordination with MEFD and legal staff
- Represent IRAP before Jordanian authorities
- Participate in and/or supervise staff participation in relevant inter-agency/NGO forums, working groups, and networks; ensure continuous and adequate communication with local partners and explore possibilities for new partnerships as appropriate
- Organize and accompany donor, HQ, or other field visits to the IRAP office in country
- Coordinate with the Development team to support donor relations
- Support the Communications and Litigation teams by coordinating the identification of potential plaintiffs, spokespeople, and compelling client stories from within the local client population
- Organize annual student trips for visiting law students, attorneys, and/or donor stakeholders with the goal of encouraging a long-term interest in IRAP’s work and refugee advocacy more broadly
- Develop and implement new operations protocols and professionalize existing operations to ensure there are clear policies, expectations, and boundaries in place at all times for recruiting/hiring, cash handling, procurement, internal communication, security, emergency situations, and other finance, HR, legal, and administrative topics
- Coordinate with IRAP HQ and Field Management to ensure that all program administration and financial management is in line with UJC/IRAP HQ policies and regulations
- Supervise the timely production, verification, and submission of financial reports and ensure regular budget monitoring protocols are in place
- Ensure the maintenance of IRAP’s status as a lawfully registered NGO in Jordan
- Coordinate the recruitment, hiring, and/or management of local financial and legal advisors, including handling any issues related to work and residency permits, visas, and office zoning codes
- Execute and manage local employee contracts
- Maintain local bank account
- Ensure that bookkeeping procedures are followed and that financial accounts are regularly reconciled
- BA required, MA or JD preferred
- Arabic fluency preferred
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Personal or professional interest in the MENA region
- Knowledge of international refugee law and procedures preferred
- Ability to be flexible in a fast-paced and high-pressure work environment
- Highly organized and motivated, able to multi-task, manage a high volume workload, and have excellent time management skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; comfortable working with diverse populations
- Strong program/technical skills, and planning, reporting skills
- Prior supervision experience
- Prior program management experience
- Prior financial management and accounting experience preferred
- Prior international nonprofit/NGO employment is a plus – especially in international humanitarian context
- A two year commitment to the position is preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite and Google Suite
IRAP is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from diverse candidates. IRAP offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits including health and retirement plans, a flexible work schedule, and vacation/sick leave.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, short writing sample (3-5 pages), and a list of three references using the application form available here.