Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
125 Maiden Lane
The Associate Editor will be one of a team of editors responsible for shaping Guttmacher’s publications. Products range from fact sheets and media materials to complex reports and articles for two peer-reviewed journals, Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health and International Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health. The Associate Editor position requires three main aptitudes:
· Strong editing skills (solid command of grammar and usage, ability to edit material for diverse audiences, close attention to internal consistency and readability);
· Familiarity with domestic and international sexual and reproductive health issues, and ability to help authors formulate strong, cohesive arguments;
· Sufficient understanding of social science research methods and statistics to ensure accuracy, readability and effectiveness of both text and graphics.
· Provide substantive edits and guidance on text, tables, figures and infographics to ensure accuracy, internal consistency, correctness of grammar and style, and readability;
· Work with authors with varying writing and language proficiencies to ensure that material meets rigorous standards for publication;
· Work with executive editors, authors and production staff to shepherd copy through review and production phases;
· For the peer-reviewed journals, screen manuscript submissions, participate in editorial meetings to discuss submissions and other journal-related matters, and assist in identifying reviewers;
· Assist in writing copy, as needed;
· Screen outside journals to stay abreast of the field;
· Perform other job-related tasks and projects as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in social sciences; master’s degree a plus;
· Three to five years of editorial experience focused on academic/professional material in the social sciences;
· Proficiency in Word and Excel, willingness to learn project management software and other programs;
· Excellent writing and editing skills, including the ability to edit text and graphics for diverse audiences, paying particular attention to house style, internal consistency and overall readability;
· Familiarity with the sexual and reproductive health field;
· Understanding of social science research methods and statistics;
· Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills, ability to manage multiple priorities in a time-sensitive manner, close attention to detail;
· Fluency in French or Spanish a plus;
· Availability for occasional travel to meetings.
Salary and benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 401(k) with employer match, commuting subsidy, and generous time off.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, submit resume and cover letter here.