Details: DOE FTE
1757 Waller Street
Safe & Sound (formerly the San Francisco Child Abuse Prevention Center) is a children’s advocacy organization working to prevent child abuse and reduce its devastating impact on the child, their family, and our entire community.
We have been a pioneer in the field of child abuse prevention, working within San Francisco for more 40 years. Recently the organization has begun to expand its impact working throughout the state of California.
Child Abuse is a complex problem, but a preventable one. Our data-informed approach leverages three primary strategies: we empower children with knowledge and confidence; we support families providing resources and skills; we activate the community and the changemakers within it to create a thriving social safety net for children and their families.
The organization has an annual operating budget of approximately $8 million and is supported by approximately 60 staff, interns, and more than 80 volunteers. Safe & Sound’s headquarters is located in a historic firehouse in the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood of San Francisco, with a second office in the Bayview neighborhood.
More information is available at: www.safeandsound.org.
- This non-exempt position is responsible through supervision and skill for providing a safe, playful and therapeutic environment for children at the Playroom. This position reports to the Playroom Coordinator.
- Care for children ranging from 0-12 years old utilizing non-directive play, art media, and dramatic play to support the children’s social, emotional and physical development.
- Provide for children’s basic needs while in care including but not limited to changing diapers, preparing meals and feeding, as well as maintaining a clean and safe Playroom environment.
- Facilitate developmental growth for children by identifying developmental concerns and helping children to improve peer relationships, regulate emotions, and express their needs appropriately.
- Work with children individually and in groups.
- Administer standardized assessment tools that measure children’s developmental growth.
- Develop and implement service plans based on assessment data.
- Participate in creating an environment where parents are assisted to create and experience shared positive emotions with each of their children.
- Support the parent/child relationship by helping parents with any concerns they might have in dealing with their child or parenting.
- Participate in planning and discussions around how best to support client families.
- Build supportive relationships with parents.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings; contribute observations concerning children to scheduled debriefings.
- Document children’s developmental progress and any concerns in the children’s behavior.
- Aid in coordination of Playroom and Center activities with volunteers, staff members, and consultants.
- Required to work occasional weekend shifts over the year and assist at community events and with other outreach efforts.
- Providing Front Door Reception coverage when needed
- Enter Efforts To Outcome data for Playroom when required
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree in Child Development, Psychology, Social work, or 4 years of equivalent work with children required.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred.
- Previous experience working with children establishing and maintaining a fun and safe environment required.
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment required.
- Ability to work with and sensitivity to the needs of diverse ethnic and cultural staff and client population.
- Ability to support parent/child relationships.
- Ability to be flexible, punctual and reliable.
- Basic computer skills required: word processing and internet search capabilities.
- Full-time (40 hours per week). Core hours: Monday – Thursday, 11:00-7:00pm; Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm. Schedule can vary month to month or on an as needed basis.
- Position must pass fingerprinting requirement and will be reference checked.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
· Combination of child care setting and standard office environment.
· Computer, phone, fax, copier.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL TASKS
· Occasional travel w/in San Francisco.
· Being able to lift children of up to 50 lbs. unassisted is required
· Being able to engage children of various ages by running/playing/stooping/bending/reading/sitting also required
A variety of platinum level healthcare plans to choose from retirement plan with an employer discretionary contribution after one year of employment, generous paid time off and a great work/life balance.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish strongly preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Safe & Sound is committed to workforce diversity. Qualified applicants will receive full consideration without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume and a detailed cover letter to Frank Landin, Manager of Human Resources at email@example.com.