Details: Competitive annual salary commensurate with experience.
STAFF ATTORNEY POSITION OPENING IN TAOS, NEW MEXICO
*Now accepting applicants with at least two years experience.*
The Western Environmental Law Center (WELC) is a nonprofit public interest environmental law firm with a 25-year legacy of success using the power of the law to safeguard the public lands, wildlife, and communities of the American West in the face of a changing climate. We seek a dynamic, public interest-focused attorney to join our team. This position will use a full complement of legal advocacy tools to: (1) protect public lands, wildlife, and communities from fossil fuel projects; (2) engage federal and state legislative, policy, and rulemaking processes to advance climate action; and (3) support a just transition for communities away from fossil fuels. This full-time position will be located in our Taos, New Mexico office and will be filled as soon as possible.
Requirements and qualifications for the position include:
- Familiarity with Western U.S. climate, fossil fuel, and public lands legal issues, with knowledge of New Mexico’s legal framework, communities, and lands a significant plus.
- At least two years of litigation experience, with administrative advocacy and strategic/policy campaign experience a significant plus.
- Ability and willingness to use a complete set of legal advocacy tools including litigation, collaboration, administrative engagement, and rule and policy development.
- Admission to and good standing with a state bar and willingness to obtain membership to the New Mexico bar, if not already admitted, at the earliest opportunity after hiring.
- A science or technical background in climate, energy, or public lands-related issues is a significant plus.
- Creative, strong-willed capacity to achieve objectives in the face of adversity.
- Exceptional research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to foster relationships with our clients, partners, funders, and allies.
- Demonstrated commitment to the public interest and to WELC’s mission and strategies.
- Demonstrated commitment to conceptualizing and executing legal strategies that further WELC’s commitment to equity, inclusion, and justice.
- A positive, friendly, and enthusiastic attitude towards making the world a better place.
- A love and respect for the public lands, wildlife, and communities of the Western U.S.
Western Environmental Law Center is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and our programs and employment are open to all. We offer a friendly, team-based environment, highly competitive salaries, and an excellent benefits package.
For more information about WELC, please visit www.westernlaw.org.
Group insurance plan coverage (medical, dental, vision, life, disability); Optional enrollment in an employer-sponsored employee flexible benefits plan; Retirement plan, 401(k); Paid leave (vacation, sick, holiday, family/sabbatical).
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled, with a start date no later than September 2018. To apply, please email the following as PDF attachments to email@example.com: (1) cover letter addressed to Erik Schlenker-Goodrich, Executive Director; (2) resume; and (3) minimum of three references. Cover letters should clearly communicate the applicant’s commitment to WELC’s mission and advocacy and their motivation to work in the public interest legal field. Please do not reiterate qualifications communicated by your resume. No phone calls or in-person visits please.