Details: Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive.
1400 Parkmoor Avenue
Are you passionate about making sure ALL children have access to high-quality public schools?
Are you an energetic and effective multi-tasker excited by the prospect of building strong systems to manage projects and build relationships with funders and others?
Do you get fired up by the prospect of creating new systems and improving existing ones to help a growing organization realize its larger vision?
If so, you may be our ideal candidate for Senior Manager, Fund Development.
Use your project management, communications, event-planning and relationship-building skills to play a key role in fund development for a dynamic, growing non-profit with a strong base of financial support already in place. As part of a cross-functional team that shares fundraising goals and responsibilities, play a key role in growing Innovate’s work with parent and education leaders to increase the number of high-quality public schools in the Bay Area. Flexible work locations with offices in San Francisco and San Jose. Reports to VP of Content Strategy & Partnerships.
This position does not require previous experience in fundraising. This is a great opportunity for someone who is highly motivated and who is looking to learn and grow in their career.
About Innovate Public Schools
We are a nonprofit organization working to make sure that all students in the Bay Area -- especially low-income students and students of color -- receive a world-class public education that prepares them for success in college, careers and beyond. We’re building a movement of families, educators, and business and elected leaders who together will make this vision a reality. We build the capacity of parents and educators to innovate and act together to create world-class public schools, and we publish easy-to-understand school quality data and research that highlights both problems and solutions.
Working in close partnership with CEO, and reporting to VP of Content and Partnerships, coordinate across people and teams to implement Innovate's annual fundraising strategy to grow the organization and broaden our base of donors.
- Create strong systems for managing relationships with prospects and supporters, and ensuring customized communication and follow-up.
- Coordinate weekly and monthly meetings with the CEO and key executives.
- Track all key fundraising and donor information and maintain records, reports and dashboards in Salesforce so that the development team can track progress to goals.
- Project manage the grants process for current and prospective donors, all on-time as per deadlines.
- Write grant reports, sharing Innovate’s accomplishments and successes
- Write communications and outreach materials for current and prospective funders, including regular and personalized email updates.
- Support the CEO by:
- Researching prospects and pulling together background material.
- Drafting communications and following up on communications with funders.
- Coordinate 5-7 small events during the year for prospective and current funders and supporters, including house meetings, parent meetings and school tours.
- Lead the planning and execution of Innovate's annual Top Schools event, leveraging it to build our base of education advocates in the Bay Area
Resources Available to You in this Role:
- An active CEO fundraiser who conducts a high volume of meetings and acts as point for a portfolio of current individual and foundation donors.
- A supportive boss (VP of Communications & Partnerships) who can mentor and support you to learn the ropes and develop as a fundraising professional.
- Great, collaborative coworkers: In this cross-team role, you’ll work with senior leaders, the finance/operations team and program staff.
Sample “Week In The Life Of”
- Meet with CEO to prepare him for upcoming meetings with major donors and foundations, debrief his meetings from the past week and plan for follow-up.
- Host a foundation program officer and a local philanthropist to observe an inspiring parent leader meeting.
- Phone call with an Innovate board member to discuss the background of a new, high-profile prospect.
- Write up an email for the CEO to send to prospects and supporters reporting on the success of our latest National Parent Leader Institute.
- Join the Finance/Operations team meeting to plan for an upcoming event.
- Work with Innovate’s database contractor to update custom views in Salesforce and make adjustments to several dashboards and reports.
- Phone call with one of Innovate’s program leads about outcomes for our parent organizing, then write up a foundation grant report, well ahead of deadline.
- Coordinate the quarterly development stepback, reporting out progress towards our fundraising goals.
- Receive news that we’ve closed a new foundation grant for $100K and received a $10K gift from a new individual supporter - celebrate with the team!
- Meet with your boss, VP of Content Strategy & Partnerships to map out fundraising priorities and our plans for the next quarter.
- Passionate about Innovate Public School's mission for education equity and justice
- Bachelor's degree
- Well-organized, with a strong attention to detail and excellent project management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to build positive, professional relationships with diverse colleagues
- Strong business writing skills
- Demonstrated team player with the ability to work collaboratively with people of different areas of expertise and across multiple teams
- Ability to work in a start-up environment, requiring flexibility, self-motivation, self-directed problem-solving, collaborative work style, drive toward results, and enthusiasm.
Your relevant experience could include:
- Business development
- Project management
- Partnership development
- Program coordination
- Executive assistance involving internal and external communications
Innovate offers very generous benefits including health and dental insurance, 20 days paid time off per year (increasing to 25 after 2 years of employment), two floating holidays, 14 paid fixed holidays per year (including office closure between Dec 24th - New Year’s Day), 1 day per year paid volunteering time off, and 5% employer contribution to 401k.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, specifically answering the following questions:
- Why are you on fire about education equity and justice? Why is this issue important to you?
- What is most exciting to you about this role?
- What experience do you have that is relevant to this role? What strengths and experience would you bring to the role and in which areas would you be looking to learn and grow?