Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Director of Early Childhood Education
Department: Early Childhood Education
Reports to: Associate Executive Director for Early Childhood and Youth Programs
Salary: $110,000 - $120,000
The Director of Early Childhood Education is responsible for overseeing all the operational and program activities of Union Settlement’s Early Childhood Education program. The Early Childhood Education program consists of six early childhood education/Head Start centers, as well as a Family Early childhood education Network, East Harlem Community Partnership and a separate Asthma
Initiative program. The Director must have significant experience in Early Childhood Education and the ability to oversee and manage a large, diverse high-quality education program. The Director is a member of the agency’s senior management team and must be a strong, hands-on manager, with the ability to manage approximately 6 direct reports and oversee a program with approximately 130 employees.
• Overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Early Childhood Education program to ensure that all program services are of the highest quality.
• Coordinating and supervising the efforts of early childhood staff in developing and maintaining all program components, including education, health, nutrition, social services, parent involvement, mental health, and disabilities.
• Maintaining sound financial management over all early childhood program budgets, as well as helping site directors manage their program budgets and ensure timely collection of parent fees.
• Representing the agency and maintaining strong working relationships with the Administration of Children’s Services (ACS), NYC Department of Education (DOE) and other government agencies, day care and Head Start employees’ unions, and other community and city-wide organizations.
• Reviewing the current program model and develop strategies to ensure full enrollment in all early childhood education/Head Start centers and the Family Early childhood education Network.
• Collaborating with and guiding the Delegate Agency Policy Committee (DAPC) of Union
Settlement, including recommending new hires and facilitating elections to the DAPC.
• Collaborating with the Associate Executive Director, Director of Finance and Director of Development in managing and identifying additional funding sources and responding to requests for proposals.
• Ensuring all statutory and regulatory requirements are met and all required licenses are up to date.
• Defining, measuring, and evaluating program performance data.
• Creating continuous improvement based on performance data.
• Training, supervising and motivating others to engage in appropriate performance management activities.
• Evaluating staff performance and identify areas of training needed. Collaborate with internal departments and external agencies to facilitate training.
• Ensuring all Early Childhood Education employees are trained regularly to meet compliance regulations.
• Providing oversight and management of East Harlem Community Partnership Program (EHCPP).
• Providing oversight and management of Family Child Care Network with at least 50 providers.
• Participating in the planning of Union Settlement events, including Staff Recognition, Ethnic
Festival and other agency initiatives.
• Additional duties as assigned by the Executive Director and Associate Executive Director.
The ideal Director of Early Childhood Education candidate will have the following qualifications:
• Master’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or Education.
• New York State Teacher Certification in B-2, or equivalent.
• Ten years of management experience.
• Significant experience in early childhood education, with a demonstrated track record of success.
• Comprehensive knowledge of New York City’s EarlyLearn program, the Head Start Performance
Standards, Department of Health Article 47 regulations, and NYC ACS and DOE regulations.
• ACS Web Enrollment System (WES) management as a Super User.
• Familiarity and experience with the Creative Curriculum strongly preferred but not required.
• Bilingual English/Spanish preferred but not required.
• A clear understanding of the East Harlem community’s early childhood education needs, as well as issues affecting early childhood education services.
• A strong desire to help improve the lives of the residents of the local East Harlem. community, and an ability to listen to and address parent concerns with care and compassion.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent analytical and organizational skills, including the ability to undertake multiple tasks.
• Unquestioned personal and professional integrity.
• A dedicated work ethic.
Please send cover letter, resume, writing sample, salary requirements, and contact information for at least three professional references (preferably current or former direct supervisors) to email@example.com. Please indicate “Director of Early Childhood Education” in subject of e-mail.
UNION SETTLEMENT ASSOCIATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and…