Details: Final salary depending on experience and qualifications.
2424 Wilcrest Drive
Literacy Advance seeks to hire an experienced and skilled professional to serve as Program Coordinator for the agency’s main campus on Wilcrest Drive in west Houston.
This position is available now.
The mission of Literacy Advance of Houston is to transform lives and communities through the doorway of literacy. Considered the premier agency for community-based literacy programs in Houston, Literacy Advance helps adults read, write, communicate, and understand English to enable them to succeed in the workplace, in school, and in the community. Literacy Advance offers basic reading classes, basic English classes, Transition services, and Family Literacy activities, which are supported by trained volunteers. Literacy Advance serves learners and their families, supports volunteers in tutoring and non-tutoring roles, and manages classes at its main location in west Houston, as well as at satellite sites in Clear Lake and Brookshire.
Established in 1964 by a small group of dedicated volunteers, Literacy Advance is a United Way of Greater Houston agency, an accredited affiliate of ProLiteracy and the Houston Center for Literacy, and a member of Literacy Texas and the Better Business Bureau. For more information about Literacy Advance and its programs, please visit literacyadvance.org or find us on Facebook.
The Wilcrest Program Coordinator is an integral part of the Literacy Advance Programs team and works closely with agency volunteers and learners, maintaining high levels of customer service, and pro-actively determining challenges and proposed solutions for the best program delivery possible. Success in this role relies on the Coordinator’s ability to respond to the day-to-day needs of learners and volunteers within the wider agency context of processes, procedures, and policies. This position requires a person with energy, creativity, sensitivity, and a dedication to helping increase the impact Literacy Advance programs have in the community, while maintaining the integrity and high level of service and professionalism that Literacy Advance has established.
A Bachelor’s degree is required; an emphasis in adult education, social services, or a related field is preferred. However, all disciplines will be considered. A qualified candidate will be fluent in English and Spanish, able to communicate effectively in both languages both verbally and in written communications. In addition, at least two years of professional work experience is preferred. Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills will be required for successful growth within the role.
To be successful, the Wilcrest Program Coordinator should possess outstanding customer service skills and the ability to develop and maintain working relationships with learners, volunteers, staff, community partners, and other agency stakeholders. It is important that the Program Coordinator is able to function independently while exercising discretion and mature judgment. The Coordinator acts as the Manager on Duty for evening and weekend (Saturday) operational hours.
Strategic thinking about the programs, procedures and processes of day-to-day operations, with an ability to identify potential concerns and/or areas for improvement is essential. This position requires a high level of sensitivity and experience in dealing positively with cultural differences and/or linguistic misunderstandings. Consistently professional communication skills are required. Broad computer skills are required, including Microsoft Office suite and an understanding of data entry best practices.
The position reports to the Academic & Transition Services Director, and works closely with the Programs Team.
The Wilcrest Program Coordinator has the following responsibilities:
- Coordinate, under the direction of the Academic & Transition Services Director, day-to-day volunteer tutor and learner activity – new class formation; matching of learners and tutors; monitoring attendance; conducting pre- and post-tests; dissemination of information; and responding to volunteer and learner requests for information and support,
- Conduct New Student Registration and assist with learner intake and assessment processes,
- Carry out all forms of student communications – in person; telephone; emails, as well as contributing to wider forms of student communication such as web-based communication and student announcements,
- Provide secondary front-of-office support, including answering phones and covering front desk from time to time,
- Represent the student perspective in internal and external discussions,
- Contribute to the overall development of programs and services,
- Contribute new ideas and concepts for program themes, materials and resources to supplement, expand or replace existing program components,
- Participate in discussions and reporting on progress, trends, and appropriate recommendations or conclusions,
- Ensure compliance with all procedures and policies,
- Contribute to agency discussion and planning for current and future program services,
- Pro-actively report program challenges and proposed solutions to Academic & Transition Services Director,
- Enter and collect data, compile reports, and assist in accurate record keeping,
- Plan and assist with execution of learner/volunteer events,
- Demonstrate pro-active approach to continually learning about adult and family literacy and keeping abreast of new information in the field,
- Participate in Literacy Advance community events as needed,
- Participate in staff meetings and professional development opportunities, and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position is eligible for health and dental benefits, as well as PTO accrual as outlined in the agency handbook.
Level of Language Proficiency
A qualified candidate will be fluent in English and Spanish, able to communicate effectively in both languages both verbally and in written communications.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send resume and cover letter describing your qualifications, including your bilingual abilities, to email@example.com