3927 28th Street
Long Island City
Mission Statement: Growing Up Green Charter School empowers children to be conscious, contributing members of their community through a rigorous curriculum and an engaging green culture. Graduates of GUGCS will be prepared to attend high-performing schools where their interdisciplinary academic foundation, knowledge of sustainability, and strong sense of self sets them apart as leaders of the future.
- Implement GUGCS curricular programs (Literacy Workshop Model, TERC, Envision, Math in the City: Contexts for Learning, Words Their Way, Sounds in Motion, Wilson Fundations) in addition to units written in-house
- Co-Teach with General Education classroom teacher to best service all students in the inclusion classroom
- Collaborate with grade team to write rich, integrated Social Studies and Science Units as part of inquiry-based "ED (Explore and Discover) Time" curriculum
- Use the Responsive Classroom model for community-building and behavior management strategies
- Differentiate instruction to meet the needs of all learners
- Adhere to subject specific grade-wide pacing calendars
- Maintain organized records of anecdotal notes and assessments
- Administer formal interim assessments and informal ongoing assessments, such as Fountas & Pinnell running records, conferencing, end-of-unit rubrics, student portfolios, etc.
- Use data collected on assessments to modify unit plans, inform groupings, and to support student referrals
- Co-teach Science with Science Lab Teacher two times per week
- Participate in grade team and curricular planning meetings
- Create and maintain an engaging and organized physical classroom environment, making learning accessible to all students
- Establish and maintain ongoing positive relationships with families
- Actively participate in school community through bi-weekly staff meetings, PD opportunities, staff committees, school events, etc.
- Work with instructional coach on specific goals throughout the year
- Respond productively to ongoing, year-round professional feedback
- Work closely with Special Education department (learning specialists, interventionists, service providers) to best support student learning
- Use weekly lesson plans to help drive instruction in a clear manner
- Demonstrate commitment to working with diverse populations of families and students, including those at-risk
Strong commitment to Growing Up Green Charter School's mission and green theme
Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a team of teachers
Knowledge of Responsive Classroom
Experience in environmental education a plus
Experience with technology integration
Excellent organizational skills
Bachelor's Degree required; Master's Degree preferred
At least two years classroom teaching experience in the elementary grades
Required Certificates & Licenses
Special Education teaching certification
NYC DOE/Fingerprinting & Background Clearance
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Growing Up Green is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage and value a diverse workforce, and we seek diversity among applicants for this position.
Please send your cover letter and resume to the Director of Recruitment, Aramis Grant, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about our school, please visit our website: www.gugcs.org