Chicago Run is a nonprofit organization that provides young people from Pre-K through high school with inclusive running and physical activity programs. We empower young people with equitable access to physical activity and use running as a catalyst to transform lives. Through the power of sport, we build resilience to stress and trauma and develop social and emotional skills. During the 2019-2020 school year, we reached 16,000 youth participants, from 53 partner schools and sites, located in 34 diverse Chicagoland neighborhoods. We primarily focus programming in under-resourced communities with limited access to physical activity and play.
In collaboration with Up2Us Sports, Chicago Run seeks a Coach to work alongside the Chicago Run Program Team to support growth and development of our programming in sites across the city of Chicago. This is a full-time AmeriCorps service position ending on December 31st, 2021. Within that year of service, the member will perform 1700 hours of coaching with Chicago Run (~40 hours per week) and receive a living allowance of $15,150 (broken into bi-weekly payment). After the coach’s term completion, the coach will receive an education award of $6,195 through AmeriCorps, forbearance of educational loans, health care options, and training and support. The Coach will be responsible for managing relationships, routine communication, and directly delivering programs at the schools and partner sites. This position will be integral to the success of Chicago Run programming.
Program Implementation (70%)
- Assist in technical assistance and virtual or in-person site visits to lead running and physical activity sessions with early childhood students in the Little Strides program and elementary school students in the Chicago Runners program during the school day
- Conduct weekly virtual and/or in-person site visits to lead or co-lead after-school running practices with Running Mates team(s)
- Provide documentation of weekly site visits at each school and offer recommendations based on observations to teachers and students
- Support physical activity-related trainings for parents, teachers, and other site staff to meet the unique needs of each school/site
- Maintain regular communication with school/site coaches and other staff via email, phone, and in person
- Help identify and troubleshoot any issues with program delivery
- Provide weekly reports regarding status of programs and relationships with schools/sites
- Aid in the development and enhancement of the over-all health and wellness environment at schools/sites and implement innovative physical activity
- Make exercise FUN for students and staff!
Program Logistics (20%)
- Manage your cohort of schools’ tracking platforms (including virtual marathon database, online attendance tracker, etc.)
- Track and ensure delivery of program supplies (equipment, uniforms, snacks, and other supplies)
- Assist in ongoing program evaluation measurements for both Chicago Run and Up2Us Sports (PACER test, surveys, etc.)
Event Support (10%)
- Assist with the organization of school kick-off events
- Provide support and coordinate logistics for all program events (Fun Runs, Running Mates races, participant field trips, etc.)
- Facilitate program trainings for school personnel and students
- Support the Program Team and broader staff as needed on additional tasks and projects
Additionally, the AmeriCorps Up2Us Coach will:
- Encourage participants to gain and develop life skills, knowledge, and techniques through sport, using lessons learned at Up2Us Sports’ best in class training events
- Perform data collection activities, as directed by your Up2Us Sports Program Manager
- Act as a role model, gaining the respect and trust of the community and youth served
Up2Us AmeriCorps Coaches must complete the following requirements to ensure successful completion of the AmeriCorps program:
- Completion of the required 1700 hours of service and training by last day of coach contract (December 31st, 2021)
- Attendance at the Up2Us Coach orientation
- Completion of bi-weekly timesheets
- Attendance at a day of service
- Attend/participate in Up2Us Sports trainings, meetings, and special initiatives
- Attend Coach Training Institute (Virtual – Dates TBD)
- An ideal candidate will be 18 years of age or older, a US citizen legally allowed to work in the US, and have prior experience coaching a sport. Candidates must have a High School diploma, GED, or its equivalent
- Demonstrates a passion for Chicago Run’s mission and advancing adolescent health and wellness
- Has familiarity and interest in working with youth programs, great enthusiasm for working in Chicago Public Schools and be comfortable working with diverse populations
- Car recommended but not required
- Be willing to travel to schools throughout the city as part of his/her/their daily schedule. Must possess the ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Spanish speaking preferred, not required
- Has exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Exhibits strong organizational skills and is detail-oriented
- Has experience with basic software programs, including Microsoft Office
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and possesses flexibility
- Has strong interpersonal skills and able to build relationships and communicate with a diverse array of stakeholders
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This is a full-time position, and standard hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9AM-5PM with some exceptions for earlier mornings/later evenings depending on partner school/site schedules. Occasional weekend work will be required
- This position is one full year of service with Chicago Run through AmeriCorps
- This role will be approximately 80% program implementation and 20% administrative support
- Chicago Run is committed to being an equal opportunity organization, and providing employment opportunities regardless of identity, including race, color, national origin, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability status, or veteran status
- People of color and LGBTQ+ individuals are encouraged to apply
Restrictions on Eligibility for Benefits
If a candidate has participated in:
- Two full-time service terms or their equivalent, the candidate will be ineligible for a third Education Award or other in-service and after-service benefits
- Inability to pass a background check through Chicago Public Schools
Additionally, a candidate cannot serve if:
- Failed to disclose to Up2Us Sports any history of having been released for compelling personal circumstances or for cause from another AmeriCorps program, this will render him/her/them ineligible to receive the Education Award and may render the Coach ineligible for service with the Program.
- Released for cause from another AmeriCorps program but was released having performed satisfactorily, the candidate may still be eligible for participation in the Program. However, this eligibility does not guarantee selection or placement.
- Served four AmeriCorps National Direct or State service terms previously, regardless of whether those terms were served on a full or part-time basis. The candidate is ineligible to serve after four terms.
To apply: Send resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Note: Position details and timeline are subject to change due to circumstances surrounding COVID-19