Details: depending on experience
1012 14th Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Organization description: The Justice Policy Institute (JPI) is a national nonprofit dedicated to reducing the use of incarceration and the justice system by promoting fair and effective policies. JPI does this through groundbreaking research and analysis, strategic communications, organizing, and technical assistance to advocates and policymakers.
Position summary: The JPI Associate will provide substantive support to the communications, state-based advocacy, and research teams. The Associate will work with the communications team to maintain JPI’s website and social media presence, (including creating social media campaigns and graphics), research press contacts and coordinate report releases. The Associate will also work with the state-based team to provide support to local and state-based advocates and policy makers to encourage implementation of policies to reduce the use of incarceration. And the Associate will work with the research team to create factsheets, conduct literature reviews and gather secondary data. JPI offers significant potential for professional advancement.
Working under the direction of the Director of Communications and External Affairs, the Associate will support all three departments including:
o Create engaging content - such as infographics, podcasts and videos - to spark conversations and advocacy through JPI’s research.
o Draft a variety of traditional media pieces such as op-eds and LTE’s, press releases and pitches. Draft social media content and campaigns.
o Translate field specific jargon into accessible messaging.
o Monitor issues and JPI coverage in press and social media.
o Provide support to state-based advocates and policy-makers.
o Support state based work through database management and outreach.
o Support state based legislative efforts including tracking legislation and keeping advocates abreast to legislative efforts.
o Follow up on research request for advocates and partners.
o Conduct literature reviews to frame relevant policy topics.
o Gather and analyze secondary research and data to make policy arguments.
o Contribute to reports, factsheets, briefs, testimonies and other research-related materials.
The Associate will assist with other tasks as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree related to journalism, communications, criminal justice or social policy preferred; equivalent work experience considered.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills; ability to write quickly and accurately; strong editorial skills.
- Strong research skills, including the ability to conduct research on the internet, through library databases, and through interpersonal communications
- Excellent interpersonal skills with diverse groups including advocates, media, non-profit professionals, criminal justice systems players, and grassroots organizations.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, flexible self-starter who demonstrates a willingness to learn and take on new tasks, either collaboratively or alone.
- Fluency with current and emerging technology; experience with a broad range of social media, CMS and e-blast platforms and metrics; Adobe Creative Suite and Cision a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: Please email a cover letter, resume and a writing sample with the subject line “JPI Associate” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Writing sample : pick any of JPI’s reports and write 1 press pitch (one paragraph), and write a press release for the same report. Applications without writing samples and cover letters will not be reviewed.
This position is available immediately and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
JPI is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system involvement.