bronx, new york
Student Advocate will work closely with middle and high school students, helping them to achieve their best in both academic and non-academic settings. He/she develops, implements, and participates in a range of activities all geared towards assisting students with positive enrichment that transcends their school career. Student Advocates will help students develop intrinsic and individualized strategies for meeting their goals and improving their academic and social skills. The primary goal of a Student Advocate is to provide support and structures to students to help them graduate. The Student Advocate will meet this goal by helping students improve their attendance, facilitating small group interventions, and helping identify specific student needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Facilitate enrichment activities designed to improve attendance and academic performance of students
· Provide supervision and ensure the safety of students at all times including scheduled events either in or out of the school building.
· Engage students in a wide range of project based learning activities
· Accurately monitor student attendance during day school and after school activities
· Monitor students closely to identify when and how students are entering and leaving the building during school day. (Specific to Leadership Institute)
· Develop lesson plans and curriculum in accordance with program schedule, programmatic themes, objectives and outcomes
· Conduct attendance interventions with students and parents.
· Document student progress as it relates to student achievement, successes, and attendance.
· Plan and facilitate group workshops that promote student success and identify areas of concern.
· Establish a comfortable environment for students while adhering to and continuing the implementation of clear, consistent age-appropriate expectations and rules.
· Maintain a professional working relationship with students, parents and school personnel.
· Model appropriate practices and behaviors at all times.
· Uphold Phipps Neighborhoods policies and procedures
· Ensure proper use of supplies and materials
· Maintain ongoing open communication with parents, students and school personnel.
· Communicate with all staff, parents, students and community members respectfully and politely thus ensuring the reputation and integrity of Phipps Neighborhoods Inc.
· Attend staff meetings, professional development workshops and program events.
· Perform other duties as assigned by the Community School Director.
Level of Language Proficiency
· The candidate must have at least a High School Diploma or HSE, minimum of 12 college credits preferred
· Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills as well as strong classroom management skills
· Excellent oral and written communication skills and computer literacy
· Bilingual (Spanish speaking) preferred
· Enthusiasm, creativity and initiative
· A sense of humor and a sense of urgency
· Candidate should be able to Multitask and take direction well
· Able to deal with crisis in an appropriate manner
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply for this position on our website for consideration. All applications without a resume and cover letter will not be accepted.