High School Special Education Teachers - Science ICT and SETSS
- Job posted by Ascend Public Charter Schools
Our flagship high school, Brooklyn Ascend High School (BAHS), opened to 9th grade students in September 2015 and will reach the twelfth grade this September.
At BAHS, we are looking for teachers who are passionate about their academic discipline and personally driven by the academic achievement of their students. Ascend teachers hold exceptionally high intellectual expectations of their students and create a culture of joyful academic discovery in their rooms. Their aim is to ignite intellectual curiosity in their students and build their academic knowledge and confidence in preparation for four-year colleges. They are vigilant in ensuring that all tasks placed before their students are rigorous and without exception reflect the school's aspirations of academic excellence.
We are passionate about science special education teachers who are fired up about their lessons—who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the rich content they teach. We value teachers who truly listen to what students are saying—who create a space for students to think their way through to answers, and who praise their insights and curiosities along the way. We value educators with a hunger for feedback and professional growth, and a dedication to excellence.
Our teachers know that a strong culture that respects and motivates students relies on excellent academic teaching in every room. We believe in restorative practices and teach students to resolve conflicts on their own, understand the impact of their actions, and acknowledge responsibility to the school community. We believe that a true liberal arts education – which fosters and prizes critical thinking and independence of thought—cannot be joined to a no-excuses culture that emphasizes silence and compliance. We prepare students for success in college and in life by fostering agency—our students' confidence that they are in control of their own lives and can act of their own free choices.
We are looking for teachers who embrace STEM – teachers who are eager to teach an NGSS-aligned curriculum, to integrate technology, to connect math and science, to give storyline assessment tasks, and to create experiences for students to take ownership of their learning. Our current academic program has students engaged in engineering within the general curriculum, maker classes, and STEAM clubs. We seek teachers with a diverse skillset who will continue to develop our STEM program in a new and growing school. Discover more about BAHS.
The high school science special education teacher will work with general education teachers to co-teach engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned Ascend curriculum and co-create, implement, and support the development of rigorous curricula that develops scholars as problem-solvers and critical thinkers. Additionally, the high school special education teacher will:
- Plan for and provide special education teacher support services (SETSS)
- Participate in the development, tracking, and implementation of IEP goals
- Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
- Build a motivating and inclusive classroom environment using restorative practices
- Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
- Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual summer institute
- Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
Staff and Reporting Relationships
The high school science special education teacher reports to the dean of student services. They also accept direction from, and works closely with, the school director, culture team, and department heads.
- Bachelor's degree required? master's degree and certification preferred
- Two years of teaching experience, preferably in an urban school setting and in the subject to be taught
- A record of producing strong student achievement gains
- The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
- Passion and commitment to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap
- An entrepreneurial mindset, with experience in start-up or founding environments preferred
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required