United Way of Greater New Bedford (UWGNB) fights for the health, education, financial stability, and basic needs of every person in the nine communities it serves. Through strategic collaborations, direct services and financial support, we actively engage with our communities to identify gaps and create initiatives to address them. The Director of Development and Donor Relations will build upon the organization’s long-standing partnerships with corporate donors while further enhancing our engagement and support from individual donors and foundations.
UWGNB has been experiencing steady growth for over a decade and has a diversified stream of revenue. The annual campaign supported by the generosity of individual and corporate gifts comprises a stable base of support that has increased steadily for the past two years. This has allowed us to increase our grant-making to other organizations as a funder. Grants, sponsorships, program contracts and events make up the rest of our revenue and fuel our programming and operations. Our programs and initiatives have increased services and capacity as a result. The breadth and depth of our work requires a nimble professional who is comfortable with a wide array of audiences and people from philanthropists and corporate CEOs to factory workers and community volunteers.
The Director of Development and Donor Relations plays an important and visible role within UWGNB and the community and provides organizational leadership for fundraising strategy and philanthropic revenue generation. Every United Way of Greater New Bedford staff member serves as an ambassador for the organization, demonstrating a culture of fundraising, service and volunteer engagement. The Director of Development of Donor Relations will utilize the organization’s approved strategic plan and development plan as a blueprint for growing and retaining UWGNB’s donor base including leveraging our local wealth markets, leading important affinity groups and inspiring leadership in our volunteer committees. The Director of Development and Donor Relations will lead the efforts to leverage our philanthropic potential and establish goals for donor identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship- all leading to the achievement of increased levels of support.
The ideal candidate is a dynamic, energetic, results-oriented self-starter. He/she is an inclusive leader with strong interpersonal and relationship building skills. Must have superb written, verbal, and presentation skills.
· Lead and direct the Development Committee, a core board committee focused on achievement of the Development Plan
· Build, engage, and support a Campaign Cabinet to support annual Campaign goals
· Leverage the talents of the organization’s board members and CEO
· Manage the annual Campaign and participating workplace campaigns with over 100 local corporations and other entities including coordination, management and delivery of corporate site presentations
· Develop and lead annual appeal strategies and plans focused on increasing giving
· Identify, build, and manage a portfolio of donors through donor segmentation, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of current and prospective donors with a focus on moving loyal donors to leadership levels
· Grow UWGNB's leadership and major donor program by significantly increasing membership in our Navigator Society (donations of $1,000 or more) and Alexis de Tocqueville Society (donations of $10,000 or more)
· Deepen UWGNB's pipeline of future individual and corporate supporters; cultivate future supporters individually and by demographic, geographic and industry segments
· Increase giving and membership in Women United through the engagement and direct solicitation of women leaders. Host and utilize existing cultivation and solicitation events as necessary to achieve growth goals
· Implement a moves management system to ensure donors have a great experience participating with UWGNB
· Develop annual fundraising budgets and strategy
· Develop UWGNB's planned and deferred giving program
· In collaboration with Marketing & Community Engagement team, develop impactful, mission-focused donor outreach and fundraising collateral
· Work closely with Administrative and Development Assistant to ensure accurate, effective and timely donor stewardship
· Create and prepare development reports and information for UWGNB meetings, including the Board of Directors
· Provide oversight and management of grant program
· Communicate regularly with donors, volunteers and staff on fundraising activities and updates
· Work in collaboration and support team on annual special events
· Participate in professional development activities to maintain up to date knowledge of United Way, fund development and stewardship best practices and giving trends
· Serve on appropriate committees as assigned by the President & CEO
· Perform other duties as assigned by the President and CEO
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree from a four year college or university and/or combination of equivalent employment and education experience required. Candidate must have at least five years’ work experience in non-profit fundraising or sales. Knowledge of strategic planning, successful public speaking, and training/facilitation experience required. Experience using donor management or CRM software a plus. Valid driver’s license and personal vehicle required. Position requires extensive local travel and occasional evening and weekend appointment
Candidates should email resume and thoughtful cover letter with salary requirements to
firstname.lastname@example.org by May 17, 2021
Please list subject as Development.
United Way of Greater New Bedford (UWGNB) fights for the health, education, financial stability, and basic needs of every person in the nine communities it serves. Through strategic collaborations, direct services and financial support, we…