The operations and academic operations manager (OAOM) is responsible for supporting school-based staff with operational information systems, maintaining and analyzing operational data, managing student recruitment and enrollment, supporting with and managing special projects, and coordinating any network-wide academic or operational purchasing. The OAOM ensures that instructional staff have the materials and tools needed for meeting Ascend's academic goals, and trains and supports staff on student and academic data software systems, ensuring that assessments are administered and data is captured, and that academic materials are purchased and available in the classroom.
Why extraordinary educators work at Ascend
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 5,000 students across 12 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to provide our students an extraordinary education, placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. And we design our school buildings to reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls and our high aspirations for teaching and learning.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Visit our website to learn more about the Ascend approach.
The operations and academic operations manager works under the director of operations and works with the operations and instructional staff at the schools to support the highest quality of instruction and accelerate scholars' learning. Additionally, the OAOM manager will:
- Ensure fidelity of the network-wide Infinite Campus student information system by setting up the new systems, training staff and instituting protocols to ensure system-wide consistency in use
- Support in ensuring that ATS and state level data systems are up-to-date and accurate
- Conduct data entry, analyze and report on operations data, including data required for school, board and regulatory reporting
- Manage student recruiting and enrollment under the guidance of the director of operations
- Help to continually improve school operations systems and procedures and lead or support with special projects in this area
- Ensure all academic materials at the schools are inventoried on a regular basis
- Support the director of operations and school-based staff on how to use Illuminate's gradebook and how to set up and generate progress reports, report cards and transcripts
- Ensure that all required curricular materials and other operational network-wide items are purchased, delivered to schools and placed in classrooms
- Inventory academic and other materials at the schools on a regular basis
- Support the instructional team in ensuring that assessments are ordered and administered, and that data is captured into academic data systems
- Work with the director of operations on other operational projects and initiatives as needed
Staff and reporting relationships
The operations and academic operations manager reports to the director of operations.
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree preferred
- Experience with data management systems, such as Infinite Campus, Illuminate DNA, Automate The Schools (ATS), a must
- Two or more years of experience in an office environment, preferably in an educational organization; instructional elementary or middle school experience a plus
- Outstanding computer skills, including fluency with Microsoft Excel, and preferably experience with Microsoft Access
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including experience with data analysis
- Excellent skills of organization and sees projects through to completion
- Effective written and spoken communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and tight timelines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to self-manage in a highly professional work environment, which requires interfacing with constituents at the network and schools levels
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required