Christopher House (CH) is searching for School Age Workers looking to grow professionally in the field of Early Childhood Development. Candidates must possess a specialized interest and passion for working with students ages 5-12 and an openness to change and new ideas.
With a mission to develop independent, creative, lifelong learners, our infant, preschool, elementary and family schools build a community of students, teachers, and parents committed to excellence, achievement and perseverance, respect and compassion, and equality of opportunity.
Christopher House partners with parents to provide a continuum of education for students from birth through high school, as well as immersive family supports that help parents create stable, self-sufficient families. We operate accredited early learning, elementary, and out of school time programs grounded in research-based curricula and high-quality instruction.
Children and families thrive when:
- Education begins at birth and continues throughout life, with parents as a child’s first teacher;
- Home environments nurture literacy, achievement, and children’s success;
- Parents have high standards and set high expectations for themselves, their children, and children’s schools;
- Professionally trained teachers know their students as individuals;
- Evaluations and program improvements are data driven;
- Parents and staff work together to continuously evaluate and improve programming;
- Education includes the development of creativity and perseverance and is multi-disciplinary in order to foster each child’s unique strengths and interests;
- Developing independent, creative, life-long researchers, education must include curriculum designed to help scholars develop socially and emotionally as well as cognitively;
- Diversity is celebrated and explored so that learners develop broad perspectives on life and learning; and
- Parents and caregivers support their children financially and emotionally.
- Determine the needs and provide for the development of children ages five to twelve
- Work to create a safe environment for children and act as a positive role model
- Contribute to and participate in a comprehensive program of educational, social and recreational activities for school aged children to promote their social, intellectual, emotional and physical growth in a group setting
- Plan and implement specific group activities for children such as craft projects, athletic activities, field trips, academic activities, games, group discussions, cooking projects and supervised homework.
- Facilitate the formation of the group as a setting that is safe and supportive for children.
- Respond to the emotional needs of the children both in the group and in individual situations, with appropriate challenge, encouragement and behavior management.
- Implement federal guidelines for nutrition. Plan for and conduct regularly scheduled parent/teacher conferences.
- Participates in staffing of children by preparing observations of the children and by implementing the educational portion of the treatment plan.
- Consult with appropriate Agency staff to determine treatment and/or educational plans for individual children.
- Completes necessary reports and records in a timely and accurate manner.
- During the school year, may walk to neighborhood elementary schools daily to pick up children after school and safely walk them back to Christopher House.
- Maintain classroom documentation. Provide lesson plans. Complete necessary reports and data collection.
- Strong alignment with Christopher House’s Values and Mission;
- Strong work ethic coupled with a proactive problem-solving approach;
- Three years of experience working in a group work setting. 1-2 years’ experience working with School Age children.
- Fluency in a second language, particularly Spanish, is highly desired.
- Two years of college at an accredited college, with a major in education, child development, recreation, psychology, physical education or group work or an Associates in Child Development or a Bachelors in Elementary Education, Child Development, recreation, psychology, physical education or group work.
If you are interested in this position, please apply below.
Christopher House is an Equal Opportunity Employer.