As a member of the operating leadership team, the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) is responsible for developing the strategic vision for the talent technology platform, Stellarworx. In collaboration with the organization's leadership and client-facing employees, this person will architect the solutions, and lead the development of a cloud-based multi-sided labor platform designed to enable skills-based, inclusive hiring that reaches millions of Americans.
The Opportunity@Work network of community based organizations, employers, training providers and academic researchers is demonstrating on the ground what an inclusive labor market can look like. A tech-enabled platform, with participation from employers, education providers, and individual job seekers, will enable our impact to scale to reach millions of individuals. Opportunity@Work is strongly positioned to be the catalyst channeling this desire for action into a scalable, tech-enabled solution.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this person will have a broad mandate to define the important role of technology in our strategy, architect the future vision for our multi-sided platform and marketplace, develop and grow our product and engineering team and leverage national partnerships to radically accelerate our progress towards our ambitious impact goals.
The ideal candidate is a self-directed and business-oriented technologist with a desire to be deeply integrated into the leadership of the organization and a passion for a collaborative product management function working effectively across engineering and the customer-facing stakeholders.
This person can be based in Washington, D.C or the San Francisco/Bay Area.
- Drive the technical strategic vision for the organization
- Make infrastructure decisions, ensuring technical excellence, versatility, safety and soundness, resiliency and scalability in the architecting and engineering of our product solutions, as well as managing all technical delivery
- Recruit, grow, nurture, and retain our engineering, product, UX design, and product design teams
- Define interfaces with a diverse array of relevant tools and stakeholders (e.g., job boards used by job seekers, applicant tracking systems used by employers), and make build, open source, partner, or buy decisions for new features
- Deliver consistent and quality enhancements to existing products and drive new product development
- Manage all aspects of the technology tools for the organization, including employee enablement and business management tools
- Constructively critique, refine and improve the strategic direction of the company, in collaboration with other leaders of the organization
- Participate as a key decision-maker in all aspects of the business, with a view towards technology as an enabler of business outcomes
- Cultivate a community of technology leaders in partner companies and like-minded organizations who are aligned to the mission, and lead a collaborative effort to solve challenges for STARs
- Serve as executive sponsor for a subset of key enterprise partner relationships, in particular those with an emphasis on technology jobs or within the tech sector
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
- Experience architecting, deploying, and scaling software (web and mobile cloud-based, B2B, multi-sided platforms preferred)
- Managing, growing and leading product, engineering, and design teams in high-growth environments, both in effectively bringing new products to market and driving it to scale
- Experience delivering high quality software effectively, quickly, and efficiently in a results-oriented environment, operating in an agile delivery model
- Understanding of user-driven design demonstrated through past work on products users love, with experience in both B2C and B2B products preferred
- Deep experience in leading agile product development teams, with a track record of deploying and scaling products that reach and serve millions of users
- Strong communication with ability to convey technical topics in easy-to-understand business terms and work collaboratively with cross-functional teams and external partners
- Strategic smarts, including the ability to identify new opportunities, drive clarity, create focus, and make tough decisions in complex and dynamic contexts
- Ability to align technology and product objectives and programs with the organization's overall vision, strategies, and objectives
- Past experience as a full stack, backend or frontend developer with a passion for good design and excellent user experiences
- Passionate for deploying technology in service of the most pressing and complex social challenges
- Thrives in an environment working with and managing people from diverse backgrounds and perspectives
- Confidence working with Ruby on Rails, Angular JS, Postgres, API integrations and microservices or similar technologies
- Evidence of exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms)
- Experience with web best practices such as A/B testing, test coverage and automation, agile, dev ops
- Experience leading a customer-focus, user-centric Product organization that engages with Stakeholders internal and external to the organization to build our roadmaps and feature designs is a plus
- Working knowledge within recruitment/talent/education/training space software is a plus