Tides is a group of section 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations committed to building a world of shared prosperity and social justice. Founded in 1976, Tides’ accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve the world’s toughest problems. Tides focuses on equality and human rights; a sustainable environment; healthy individuals and communities; education; and economic development. Tides’ services include donor-advised funds, fiscal sponsorship, and shared spaces in San Francisco and New York City. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
The Legal Counsel is a member of a dynamic Legal, Risk and Compliance (LRC) Team that supports a diverse array of legal matters for Tides and its employees, partners, reputation, assets, as well as for Tides Advocacy, a 501(c)(4) affiliate of the Tides organizations. Under the supervision of the Director, Legal, Risk and Compliance (LRC Director), the Legal Counsel will advise on legal matters and resolution of legal claims, as well as assist in managing Tides’ compliance program. Focus areas will include compliance with laws and regulations governing charitable organizations, corporate/governance, business transactions, non-profit / for-profit partnerships, lobbying regulations, analysis of expanded charitable services, new partner vetting, internal investigations, implementation of governance policies, special events, contract review and periodic staff training.
The Legal Counsel must be able to think proactively and creatively, provide strategic and legal advice and consultation, work cross-departmentally, support and manage strategic initiatives, including in connection with staff and partner education, and be committed to supporting Tides’ charitable mission.
The Legal Counsel is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Risk and Crisis Management / Compliance
- Assist in managing corporate compliance program including Board level policies and procedures, records retention, fiscally sponsored project policies and procedures, consistency of entity-wide oversight programs, risk and crisis management.
- Review and suggest revisions/updates to internal and fiscally sponsored project policies.
- Investigate and evaluate the legal implications of compliance issues, and recommend operational changes or alternative policies and procedures.
- Coordinate and manage roll-out of comprehensive risk management system, including managing external crisis management vendors, coordinating regular crisis management trainings and exercises, and ensuring the Crisis Management Plan and supporting resources are up-to-date.
- Support and advise regarding effective management of insurance program.
- Issue spot to identify risks associated with programs and recommend substantive updates for mitigation.
Advise on Legal Matters and legal claims
- Work with outside counsel to advise staff, clients and partners on legal requirements and legal risk and resolve issues.
- Stay up to date regarding latest trends in range of law impacting Tides’ business and operations, and provide strategic advice to protect Tides’ charitable mission and its employees.
- In partnership with other department staff, track risk and compliance inquiries/issues, recommend solutions, and escalate appropriate issues to others as needed.
- Track, research, and help structure and resolve any legal issues raised by new strategic initiatives and partnerships.
- Investigate inquiries from within the organization on domestic and international matters, including taxes, employment, contracts, insurance, risk management, licensing, and organizational policy.
- Research and analyze specific legal questions and prepare memoranda setting forth research results as requested by LRC Director or General Counsel.
Investment Support; Contract Review
- Support review, negotiation and drafting of a wide variety of contracts.
- Review and revise, as needed, Tides, Tides legal documents, template agreements, legal policies and procedures; communications with governmental authorities; and operational and governance policies.
- Conduct due diligence and oversee compliance with policies and procedures related to mission related investments; coordinate with Tides Investment Manager regarding the same.
Strategic Initiatives and Staff Training
- Actively assist the larger LRC Team in developing effective legal, risk and compliance education and training tools for staff, including by leading at least one all-staff training annually.
- In partnership with department staff, train staff on legal topics relevant to the organization, including internal policies and procedures and compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Assist in updating and creating new training sessions as needed and offer solutions to help staff achieve desired outcomes.
- Provide additional flexible support to other departments, as necessary.
- Continue individual continuing education to ensure that Tides remains compliant with respect to changing areas of the law.
- Supervise legal intern(s), as necessary.
- Supervise one or more interns (as applicable).
- Support legal team education / management of resources.
- Other duties as assigned by LRC Director or General Counsel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to hold self and others accountable for high-quality, timely, and effective results.
- Adapts easily to working with a variety of stakeholders and to the varying needs of the organization, while maintaining a strong voice for legal compliance.
- Demonstrates commitment to meeting the needs of internal and external clients; ability to strive for high level of satisfaction.
- Strong ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties.
- Demonstrates ability to engage in a direct, truthful, and professional manner; ability to present accurate and appropriate information.
- Exercises excellent judgment in handling confidential information and other potentially-sensitive matters.
- Strong communication skills, with ability to understand and communicate effectively with different stakeholders in different fields of expertise.
- Commitment to Tides’ Vision, Mission and Approach.
- Maintains high-level and consistent work ethic.
- Proficiency with MS Office suite of products.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Education and Experience
- Juris Doctor and CA Law License required.
- Minimum 2-3 years experience in nonprofit and tax law required.
- Experience in corporate law, contracts and transactional law, civil litigation, employment law and/or intellectual property preferred. Substantially equivalent relevant work experience may be considered.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.