4001 North 1st Street
Looking for mission-driven work? Based in Silicon Valley, Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties is one of the largest food banks in the nation. Currently providing food to more than one quarter of a million people every month, Second Harvest is a trusted community-based organization that was founded in 1974. Despite the immense wealth in Silicon Valley, and partly due to the high cost of living, hunger and malnutrition are pervasive. The Food Bank distributes nutritious food, including more fresh produce than any other food bank in the country, through a network of 300 nonprofit partners at 905 sites. Second Harvest feeds an average of more than 257,000 people every month. More than half the people Second Harvest serves are children and seniors. To reach more people, it advocates for anti-hunger policies and connects those in need to federal nutrition programs and other food resources. To learn more about how Second Harvest is building a hunger-free community, visit www.SHFB.org.
Purpose of the Position
Are you a strong fundraiser who enjoys prospecting, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding C-Suite and Silicon Valley philanthropists? Are you looking for an opportunity to make a difference in the community with a respected and well-resourced non-profit organization? Do you want to enjoy a work-life balance here in Silicon Valley?
In this role, you will be responsible for stewarding a portfolio of current and prospective major donors and deepening their engagement with Second Harvest Food Bank. Your relationship building skills and comfort with soliciting large gifts will lead you to meet and exceed annual revenue targets to help the Development team achieve the overall fundraising goal.
· A mission that brings all types of people together, yet one that is not fully understood.
· A collaborative and supportive environment that fosters creativity.
· An extremely strong non-profit brand and long-standing partnerships with leading private and public organizations.
· The support of top philanthropists in Silicon Valley.
· A mature major gifts program.
This might be a job for you if:
· You have exhibited success in local fundraising with seven or more years of progressively increasing fundraising experience and have four or more years experience in major donor fundraising, including closing five and six-figure+ gifts.
· You are sophisticated and comfortable dealing with C-Suite donors and local philanthropists.
· You are comfortable managing a portfolio of 100-130 donors with the potential to make major gifts.
· You will be expected to conduct face-to-face meetings, telephone calls, including some cold calling, and solicit gifts to meet financial goals that will be set in conjunction with the Individual Philanthropy Manager.
· You have experience preparing senior leadership including the CEO for donor meetings and leverage up senior leadership for stewarding key donors.
· You enjoy the challenge of creating individual Philanthropy stewardship and customized solicitation strategies with Silicon Valley philanthropists, both current and prospective donors.
· You have experience giving ‘white glove’ service to donors and prospects, engaging with them as a partner in their philanthropic journey.
· You have the soft skills and analytical skills to glean donors’ philanthropic motivations.
· You are proactive, a self-starter, and donor-centric.
· You are an exceptional team player and excel at creating innovative solutions.
· You are comfortable using wealth screening software, database tools and other technologies for data-driven decision making when qualifying prospects.
· You enjoy writing and editing major gifts solicitation proposals, letters, stewardship reports and other fundraising communications as needed.
· You think out of the box to find creative ways to prospect, cultivate, solcit and steward Individual Philanthopy donors.
· You believe in practicing ethical fundraising and handle donor relationships with discretion and diplomacy.
· Bachelor's degree or higher is preferred.
· Seven or more years’ experience in fundraising, with four or more years doing major donor fundraising.
· Significant level of computer proficiency including MS Office and relational donor databases (Raiser’s Edge experience a plus).
· Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends as needed.
· Ability to travel locally to meet donors as needed.
Individual Philanthropy Manager
Second Harvest Food Bank, Cypress Center
4001 North First Street, San Jose CA 95134
Full-Time, Exempt. Salary commensurate with background and experience. Outstanding and generous health benefits program, Flexible Time Off (FTO) starting at 200 hours/year, ten paid holidays, and retirement plan
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Click here to apply. You will need to upload a resume and cover letter stating why you want to work for and what you would bring to Second Harvest Food Bank. PDFs or Word Docs only.