Details: Depending on experience
2410 17th Street, NW
HCS seeks an energetic self-starter to provide outreach, training, counseling, and technical assistance to low and moderate income District tenants. The HCS Tenant Services division seeks to empower low and moderate income tenants through education and outreach; assisting tenants so that they understand their rights, opportunities, and responsibilities and can make their own informed housing choices.
Housing Counseling Services (HCS) is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization founded in 1972 to provide comprehensive housing counseling, training, advocacy and technical assistance to low and moderate income tenants, homebuyers, homeowners and the homeless. Our goal is to build sustainable communities through informed housing consumers.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Conduct outreach in buildings throughout DC where tenants are at risk for displacement;
- Provide workshops on tenant rights and responsibilities, forming a tenant association, the purchase process, understanding foreclosure, developing partnerships, running good meetings, selecting development partners, understanding rental subsidies and other topics;
- Engage partners including: property owners, management companies, developers, attorneys, lenders, inspectors and government officials;
- Provide ongoing technical assistance to tenants and tenant associations who seek to pursue actions to preserve their rights, form tenant associations, purchase their homes, partner with developers, improve housing conditions, preserve housing affordability and subsidies, etc.
- Flexible hours that require evening meetings at approximately four days a week and occasional weekend hours;
- Commitment to affordable housing, social justice and community education;
- Background in, or experience with, community development, affordable housing, at-risk populations, organizing and/or anti-poverty work;
- Experience in providing direct services to low-income individuals and families;
- Sensitivity to needs within the community and to individual clients;
- Must be dynamic, flexible, self-directed, a capable multi-tasker, collaborative/team-focused, and have excellent analytical and public speaking skills;
- Ability to translate technical information into layman's terms;
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people including: lenders, developers, landlords, attorneys, public officials, and low-income individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Comfortable working in conflict situations and being out of the office in neighborhoods throughout DC;
- Fluency in Spanish a plus! Other language skills appreciated…
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com or by mail to Employment, Housing Counseling Services, 2410 17th Street. NW, Washington DC 20009.
HCS is an equal opportunity employer and affirmatively seeks diversity in its workforce. HCS recruits qualified applicants and advances in employment its employees without regard to race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital or familiar status, sex, age, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by law.