Details: Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law is a nonpartisan law and policy institute that seeks to improve systems of democracy and justice in the United States. We work to hold our political institutions and laws accountable to the twin American ideals of democracy and equal justice for all. Brennan Center’s work ranges from voting rights to campaign finance reform, from ending mass incarceration to preserving Constitutional protection in the fight against terrorism. Part think tank, part advocacy group, part cutting edge communications hub, we start with rigorous research. We craft innovative policies. And we fight for them – in Congress and the states, the courts, and in the court of public opinion.
Brennan Center is seeking an experienced and versatile editor to oversee the creation and management of digital content for a new institutional website launching in early 2019, as well as other publications and platforms. The editor will manage the editorial content team, directing and collaborating with writers, designers, producers, and other communications experts to create lively, engaging stories, as well as campaign and marketing materials that help fulfill Brennan Center’s mission of protecting and defending our democratic norms and the rule of law.
This role requires versatility and the ability to communicate complicated ideas in a clear and compelling fashion across multiple formats, from print reports to in-depth explainers and data visualizations. The ideal candidate will have strong management experience in a journalism, advertising, or marketing role with heavy emphasis on digital content. She/He must be comfortable translating lawyerly wonk-speak into everyday English. This position reports to the Vice President of Communications & Strategy.
- Overseeing the creation of both evergreen and time-sensitive content for both the existing and new BrennanCenter.org website, ensuring a smooth launch and strategic approach to content governance and long-term maintenance.
- Directing a team of writers to craft compelling stories that engage both enthusiast and expert audiences, conveying the organization’s priorities, approach, expertise, and opportunity to create lasting change.
- Editing and managing both staff and freelance writers, developing story ideas, setting goals and deadlines, and producing clear and accurate copy that employs an accessible, optimistic voice and conversational tone and drives readers toward taking action.
- Interacting with lawyers and policy experts across the organization to ensure that Brennan Center’s digital publications and marketing materials reflect its policy priorities and advocacy goals.
- Working with analytics team to institute a plan for ongoing assessment of content quality and iterative approach to optimizing digital content performance.
- Injecting a sense of wit and fun into institutional storytelling, using multiple formats—explainers, Q&As, testimonials, first-person perspectives—to engage new audiences who might not traditionally identify as defenders of democracy and equal justice.
- Owning BrennanCenter.org’s information architecture and taxonomy to maximize content accessibility, continually improve user flows, and facilitate effective cross-promotion of content.
- Working with social media and SEO experts to ensure that digital content is smart and shareable, and crafting strategies for producing content explicitly for key social media channels, including Facebook, Reddit, Snapchat, and Tumblr.
- At least five years of experience at a management or senior editing level.
- Collaborative leadership style.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple projects concurrently, and pay close attention to detail and fact-checking.
- Experience and desire to experiment with new editorial platforms and mechanisms for content delivery.
- Keen understanding of what works in a mobile-first world.
- Elegant editing and writing skills.
- Experience with nonprofit models for fundraising, advocacy, and online conversion.
- Expertise in project leadership and new product development.
- Demonstrated facility with coverage of complex issues.
- Track record of ambitious editorial achievement.
Applications: Applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis and decisions will be made as soon as exemplary candidates are identified. To apply, visit http://brennancenter.applytojob.com/apply/yyq9BBKMPy/Director-Content-Social-Strategy. Please upload the following application materials: cover letter (copy and paste where indicated), resume, and contact information for three references. Also provide URLs for 3-5 projects or publications that you have managed with a narrative explanation of your role in their development; detail any challenges or complications you overcame. No phone calls or faxes. Please reference where you saw this posting.
If you have difficulty with the online system, you may send your application by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director, Content & Social Strategy” in the subject line, after registering in the online system. Applying through our website is strongly preferred.
The Brennan Center for Justice is committed to a workplace based on equal opportunity and a strong belief in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce. To this end, Brennan Center:
- Hires staff that reflects this country's full range of racial, ethnic, cultural, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic identity;
- Considers and hires applicants who have been previously incarcerated;
- Creates a workplace where true diversity is fostered and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged;
- Ensures that all members of the Brennan Center community feel welcome and respected, and have equal opportunities to thrive and advance within the institution; and
- Is committed to supporting low-income communities and communities of color particularly affected by social inequities.
Excellent package of benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis and decisions will be made as soon as exemplary candidates are identified. To apply, visit http://brennancenter.applytojob.com/apply/yyq9BBKMPy/Director-Content-Social-Strategy. Please upload the following application materials: cover letter (copy and paste where indicated), resume, and contact information for three references. Also provide URLs for 3-5 projects or publications that you have managed with a narrative explanation of your role in their development; detail any challenges or complications you overcame. No phone calls or faxes. Please reference where you saw this posting.