RAICES is hiring a Policy Analyst. This position will work with the Chief Advocacy Officer to develop state and federal policy recommendations and is responsible for conducting fact and policy research; reviewing and using that research and data in white papers, reports, and other publications, and mapping political and institutional landscape support multi-year advocacy strategies to advance our agenda. This position will be based in Texas with ability to travel.
RAICES is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit agency that promotes justice by providing free and low-cost immigration legal services and education to underserved immigrant children, families and refugees in Texas. We actively advocate for these individuals and do whatever it takes to assist the immigrant community.
Founded in 1986, RAICES has grown to be the largest immigration legal services provider in Texas. With offices in Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio, RAICES is a frontline organization in the roiling debate about immigration and immigrants in the world. As an organization that combines expertise developed from the daily practice of immigration law with a deep commitment to advocacy, RAICES is unique among immigration organizations. Our advocacy and commitment to change are driven by the clients and families we serve every day as our attorneys and legal assistants provide legal advocacy and representation in an immigration system that breaks apart families and leaves millions without pathways to legal status.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Oversee the development of public policy priorities at the state and federal level in collaboration with other relevant staff;
- Work with colleagues to direct and guide policy research and investigative reporting to promote policy reforms and educate the public and policymakers, producing high-impact publications (reports, white papers, fact sheets, etc.) related to trends in economic justice and evaluations of policy reforms;
- Draft official written material: op-eds, blog posts, policy proposals, comments on legislation, formal correspondence, etc;
- Monitor and analyze the impact of proposed legislation or policy on people impacted by immigration issues in Texas and nationally and, in collaboration with RAICES Advocacy, Legal and Social staff, develop strategies to defeat or advance legislation;
- Develop summaries of important legislation and regulation for the Advocacy Department and collaborate with communications staff on rapid response press statements.
- Coordinate with Advocacy and Legal staff to ensure our work to develop and implement strategies in partnership and in solidarity with diverse communities and stakeholders, including directly impacted individuals, policymakers, researchers, and advocates;
- Maintain and continue to develop an understanding of emerging economic justice issues by monitoring publications and participating in conferences, seminars, and other professional development activities.
- A Master’s degree in public policy or equivalent experience;
- 5-10 years' of experience working in immigration policy;
- A strong public policy development background with writing samples and publications available for review;
- A strategic thinker and day-to-day executor who can juggle several issues at once with the ability to effectively consider and solve both short and long-term problems;
- Execution-oriented and a self-starter who takes action and achieves tangible results;
- An excellent communicator with demonstrated writing, editing, and speaking skills;
- Thrives in fast-paced environments and comfortable with a high level of responsibility;
- A strong ability to articulate strategic objectives and deep knowledge of government and politics in immigration policy;
- Navigates new policy and geographic areas and to quickly get up to speed, identify the key issues, and develop and execute a strategy.