5 West 63rd Street
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The West Side YMCA is seeking a Preschool Head Group Teacher who, under the supervision of the Early Childhood Senior Director, will plan and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum that supports and encourages the social, emotional, cognitive, and physical needs of preschool students. The incumbent will work within the framework of the program to carry out its functions, policies, and procedures; including but not limited to: student assessments, work sampling, individualized plans, and parent / family engagement.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of children in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Work as a supportive team member within the Early Childhood Learning Center and the YMCA Branch; providing supervision and coaching to Assistant Teachers, Teacher Aides, Early Childhood Specialists and volunteers.
- Plan and implement developmentally appropriate and engaging lessons and activities, including but not limited to, literacy, arts, math, cooking, science, outdoor / indoor recreation, walking trips.
- Develop classroom centers, coordinated with the on-going curriculum, that respond to children’s interests.
- Facilitate student assessments and work sampling.
- Guide students in their academic growth.
- Work with parents to promote understanding the growth and development of their child, through effective communication.
- Effectively communicate with parents, verbally and in written form, throughout the school year.
- Encourage parent participation in special events, meetings, and in-class volunteer opportunities.
- Develop effective communication strategies.
- Maintain a clean and safe classroom environment, by reporting and / or removing all potential hazards, and setting up spaces and materials with a focus on supporting child learning.
- Conduct fire drills and manage emergency procedures, in accordance with the guidelines of the Center and the YMCA of Greater New York.
- Prepare food for children and maintain a family style setting for eating, conducive to language, cognitive and social development, as well as the development of healthy habits.
- Maintain accurate program documentation; including but not limited to incident / accident / behavior reports, attendance sheets, sign-in / sign-out sheets, development / growth forms; document eating and sleeping, parent surveys, etc.
- Maintain equipment, storage, and supply inventory.
- Ensure that all YMCA of Greater New York, Department of Health, and Department of Education (if applicable) guidelines are followed.
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education or related field and State certification, or NYSED approved certification, or Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education and 5 years of experience; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working with young children in a group setting.
- Knowledge of child development and developmentally appropriate practices.
- New York State Teaching certification.
- New York State Pre-K Foundation for the Common Core.
- Bilingual preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Preschool Head Group Teacher” to email@example.com or to:
West Side YMCA
Attn.: Colleen Brown
5 West 63rd Street
New York, NY 10023
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
New York City’s YMCA | WE’RE HERE FOR GOOD.