Details: $16.50-$18.00 per hour DOE
2650 S. Arlington Mill Dr.
Front Desk Manager
The Front Desk Manger is responsible for overseeing the front-desk customer service experience at the Animal Welfare League of Arlington. This is a full time position expected to work occasional weekend, holiday and evening shifts. The Manger handles all front-desk related matters including adoptions, owner surrenders, return to owners, wildlife issues, and questions from the public. This position will also be responsible for staff and volunteer training to ensure an excellent standard is being set across the organization.
This position is based in Arlington, Virginia.
About the Animal Welfare League of Arlington
Since 1944, the Animal Welfare League of Arlington has been committed to improving the lives of animals. The League provides temporary care and refuge for homeless and suffering animals, places animals in loving responsible homes, provides animal control services to Arlington County, and offers a wealth of animal welfare programs and community services. The Animal Welfare League of Arlington is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to creating a world where all companion animals find compassionate and permanent homes. For more information, please visit www.awla.org.
This position reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer. The Front Desk Manager will also work closely with all AWLA staff members, volunteers, board members and the general public on a regular basis.
- Provide high quality customer service; work to create a positive experience for all visitors coming to the shelter
- Function comfortably in a fast-paced environment
- Train staff and volunteers on proper front desk protocols
- Create and maintain standard operating procedures for front desk staff and volunteers
- Ability to carry out several tasks at the same time; answer phones, transfer calls and return messages
- Educates clients on responsible animal guardianship, animal care and local ordinance
- Screen adoption applications and process adoptions; relay all behavior and medical information from the animal record
- Reply to customer inquiries in a courteous, efficient and professional manner providing a high level of personalized customer service
- Ensures that lost reports and morning/closing checklists are done accurately and completed as assigned
- Create receipts and process payments accurately, following departmental protocols
- Availability to work weekends, evenings, holidays and overtime if needed
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent related work experience
- Three years’ experience in customer/client focused professional environment
- Excellent communication and customer service skills; professional telephone etiquette
- Ability to learn and effectively communicate behavioral and medical information about animals
- Knowledge of computers and relevant software applications such as G-Suite, Microsoft Excel, etc.
- Knowledge and understanding of (or ability to learn) dog/cat characteristics, companion animal behavior, and general veterinary practices and be able to convey that information accurately to the public
- Ability to remain calm and composed in sensitive and emotional situations and show compassion in difficult situations
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Ability to utilize effective problem solving/decision making skills
- Experience leading and managing volunteers
- Flexible schedule with availability to work weekends, evenings, holidays and overtime if needed
Desired Qualifications (helpful but not required)
- Experience in the field of animal care or animal welfare
- Experience with “hands on” nonprofits
- Experience working with PetPoint
- Bi-Lingual English/Spanish is a plus
- Passion for the mission of Animal Welfare League of Arlington
- Ability to think analytically and problem-solve
- Willingness to ask questions and work collaboratively
- Energetic, hard-working, team player
- Highly organized, and detail-oriented self-starter
- Positive, enthusiastic, and professional image in representing AWLA, both internally and externally
- Discretion with confidential information
Typical Physical & Mental Demands
Requires frequent bending, reaching, stooping, kneeling, walking/standing, eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other equipment or machinery. Will have exposure to injured and deceased animals, disinfectant solutions, and various weather conditions. May assist in animal restraint and deal with distressed animals, and could be subject to bites and scratches. May be required to lift heavy items (possibly up to 50 lbs) or animals and be physically active. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with the public, volunteers, staff, and animals. Also requires flexibility and adaptability to work with frequent interruptions.
Must be comfortable around dogs, cats, small companion animals and all wildlife.
This position is required to receive rabies prophylaxis vaccine, hepatitis-B, and tetanus vaccinations.
This is a full time, nonexempt, 40 hour per week position with medical, dental, vacation, paid holidays and sick time.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit the following application materials to Claudia West at email@example.com with Front Desk Manager in the subject line:
- A thoughtful cover letter describing your interest in the position and why your experience/qualifications make you the best fit for the position
- Your cover letter should include why a full time customer service position is of interest to you
- Current and up to date resume including references
Animal Welfare League of Arlington is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries, please.