Peace in Schools (PINS) is a non-profit organization based in Portland, Oregon. We offer mindfulness and contemplative education programs for young people and adults. In schools we are pioneering new depths in mindfulness education, having created the first for-credit mindfulness-based social-emotional education course in the nation to serve public high schools. Our adult programs include classes, workshops and retreats that support contemplative practice and personal transformation. You can find more about our school-based programs atwww.peaceinschools.org. You can learn more about our contemplative education programs for adults at www.caverlymorgan.com (Caverly is Peace in Schools’ Founder and Executive Director).
Program Offerings Include:
- Mindfulness classes for teens taught in public schools and youth-based organizations.
- Extracurricular workshops and retreats for young people, offering advanced mindfulness support and instruction.
- Mindfulness-in-education trainings for teachers, administrators, and other youth-serving professionals.
- Meditation classes, workshops, retreats, and consultations for the general public supporting in-depth contemplative practices.
- Public speaking and publications on topics including awareness practices and mindfulness education.
Communications Coordinator Position Overview
We seek a proactive, creative, and highly organized Communications Coordinator. Key functions of the Coordinator role include:
- Telling the story of our organization in a way that intimately connects our supporters, partners, and participants with the work we do. The aim is to convey the impact of our programs with feeling, authenticity, and professionalism.
- Draw on the experiences of PINS’ teen and adult participants, as well as staff, to market mindfulness courses, trainings and retreats, ensuring strong interest and enrollment in all program offerings;
- Support seasonal fundraising efforts through effective campaign communications and promotion of fundraising events;
- Participate in the development of comprehensive marketing and communications planning, taking a lead role in its execution.
Communications Coordinator Duties:
- Write and produce email newsletters, social media content and other digital communications.
- Solicit and edit stories, interviews and blogs from staff, students and other contributors.
- Update and maintain an active and inspiring organizational website.
- Implement marketing strategies to ensure participation goals are met for enrollment in workshops, classes, trainings, retreats and other offerings.
- Liaison with photographers, videographers and graphic designers to effectively produce and present effective visual content.
- Coordinate creation of print collateral (newsletters, brochures, flyers, postcards)
- Help formulate marketing plan for the organization to raise public awareness and maximize brand visibility.
- Support writing, designing and sending of seasonal fundraising campaign emails.
- Participate in planning and execution of periodic fundraising events.
- Significant communication experience with mission-based programs and/or non-profit organizations.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
- Technical proficiency in platforms such as MailChimp, Google Apps, Squarespace, Facebook, Facebook Ads Manager and Instagram.
- Exceptional organizational skills, including ability to proactively manage a variety of tasks and key initiatives concurrently, working with efficiency, consistency and reliability.
- Excellent listener and team player, with ability to work autonomously and collaboratively (with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters).
- Strong interest in nonprofit work with a passion to advance the well-being of young people.
Other Desired Qualifications
- Strong digital marketing skill, including email marketing, efficient ad placement on social media and Google, and website optimization.
- Experience with digital performance marketing strategy.
- Experience and interest in mindfulness/meditation practices.
- Competency in visual communications such as design, web development, photography and/or video production.
- Communications experience with fundraising campaigns and/or events.
Peace in Schools is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly value equity, diversity and inclusion. We are dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic team committed to working in a multicultural environment. We strongly encourage applicants of color to apply.
Job Title: Communications Coordinator
Location: Portland, OR
Job Type: Full-time, Exempt
Annual Salary: $32,000 to $35,000 depending on experience.
Benefits: Excellent health insurance and retirement benefits, paid vacation and sick leave.
Start Date: As soon as possible.
Closing Date: Applications reviewed on rolling basis. Open until filled.
APPLICATION GUIDELINES / HOW TO APPLY
Fully complete and submit the online application form. Please attach your resume without a cover letter. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Position will remain open until filled. No phone calls please. Due to applicant volume, only finalists for the position will be contacted.
Minimum Education Required