The Director of Financial Compliance will serve as the overseer of all grant, loan and public fund compliance and reporting (including, private grants, federal grants, state grants, and loan compliance). The Director will develop and lead a Financial Compliance team, managing dedicated compliance managers and supporting their growth and development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Private Grant and Federal Grant OversightOversee entire grant reporting portfolio, including private grant portfolio (~$10MM in annual revenue) and federal grant portfolio (~$25MM in annual revenue) to ensure compliance with all reporting requirements, regulations, rules and guidance.
- Support federal grant process stages including, application, budgeting, budget management, reporting, and compliance
- Stay abreast of all federal grant requirements; lead adjustments to Uncommon’s processes and policies to ensure continual compliance
- Review and assess grant opportunities identified by Development team to form concise but detailed cost/benefit analyses of grant opportunities
- Collaborate with Development and Operations teams to create and maintain systems and processes for applying for, managing and overseeing reporting for all private and federal grants
- Oversee all federal grant audits including annual uniform audit and ad hoc federal audits
- Support preparation for federal program officer site visits
- State Funding ComplianceEnsure compliance on spending of state and local funding from all sources (currently across three states)
- Train appropriate Operations staff on compliance rules; establish compliance accountability monitoring systems
- Loan ComplianceEnsure all financial covenants are met in collaboration with other finance team members
- Oversee all reporting required in financial agreements
- Management & RelationshipsManage and train compliance team members
- Develop relationships internally and externally, including with auditors, federal grant program officers, peers and other grant resources in order to support financial compliance
Reports to Senior Director of Financial Management and works closely with Financial Management, Accounting, Development and Regional teams; interacts with all Home Office personnel and school based teams.
- Required knowledge, skills & abilities:A background in federal grant and/or procurement compliance
- An obsessive attention to detail and follow-through
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to create and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency
- Strong problem-solving abilities
- Ability to work well in a team
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexible, able to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
- Strong computer skills (MS Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.)
- Educational background:Bachelor’s Degree preferred, but all candidates with appropriate skills and backgrounds will be considered
- Experience:7 years of finance and compliance experience, with at least 3 years of financial compliance experience (federal grant experience preferred)
- Experience in K-12 public education preferred
We offer a generous compensation package. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Please note that your application will not be saved until you click “submit” at the end of the application question set. Unfortunately, you will not be able to save your resume or answers as you go along. Please take this into consideration. You are welcome to open the application, copy and paste the questions into a Word Document, and then copy and paste your answers into our application once they are complete. Additionally, if you leave your application before beginning the question set, you will need to upload your resume again in order to move forward with the process upon returning. Thanks in advance for the time you are taking to apply to Uncommon Schools.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required