2020-2021 Fellowship in University Innovation
at Arizona State University
The University Innovation Fellowship ( http://appliedinnovation.asu.edu/fellowship ) at Arizona State University (ASU) is designed to engage early- and mid-career policy-makers, analysts, technologists, engineers, researchers, communicators, writers, designers and leaders in generating and advancing big ideas that can transform higher education institutions and the communities they serve. Fellows develop a diverse project portfolio, collaborative philosophy and comprehensive skill set that helps them leverage emerging scientific, technological, policy and design innovations to expand access to educational and economic opportunity. They spend time gaining a better understanding of the role of higher education institutions serving their communities, developing and advancing innovative ideas at a rapid pace. Fellows will form an interdisciplinary team that utilizes a diversity of experiences to contribute to high-level projects, learn from university leaders and support institutional innovation.
During the program, fellows will work collaboratively and individually on innovative efforts throughout Arizona State University. Examples of projects that fellows might conduct include: developing a university-wide innovation campaign; working with organizations outside the university to build strategic partnerships; creating a publication that communicates examples of institutional innovation at ASU; advancing education entrepreneurship; developing grant proposals; and working collaboratively to develop new tools for university and societal impact. Fellows play a central role in promoting university innovation, often through contributing a diversity of perspectives to decision-making.
The fellows are part of ASU’s Office of Applied Innovation and work directly with the leader of that office. They spend time gaining a better understanding of university administration, institutional transformation, the role of higher education institutions serving their communities. In addition, the fellows meet with ASU students, faculty, staff and community members to learn more about university and community needs and opportunities. The fellows will have the opportunity to make connections within and outside of ASU, between people, projects and resources. This inter and intra-organizational collaboration helps fellows develop valuable cross-sector leadership skills and strategies. Fellows have specific projects and responsibilities but will also contribute to the efforts of the Office of Applied Innovation.
Arizona State University has put forth a vision to become a New American University, focused on excellence, access and impact in everything it does; measured not by who we exclude, but rather by who we include and how they succeed; pursuing research for the public good; and taking responsibility for the social, economic and cultural vitality of the surrounding communities. Given ASU’s size (more than 100,000 students and 13,000 faculty and staff), projects developed by the fellows have the potential to be brought to scale through collaborative efforts both internal and external to the university. For the fifth consecutive year, ASU is ranked #1 most innovative university in the country by U.S. News & World Report.
Fellows complete a 13-month placement in the Office of Applied Innovation (July 13, 2020 – August 6, 2021). Outgoing and incoming fellows will work collaboratively during a one-month transition period. The fellowship is full-time (40+ hours per week) with a salary of $55,000 - $70,000. Additional benefits include health insurance, vacation and sick leave, paid holidays and reduced tuition.
Eligibility and Qualifications:
Applications for the Fellowship in University Innovation are invited from those who:
● Are able to commit for the entire duration of the program
● Are authorized to work in the United States (Applicants must be either a citizen of the United States or be able to maintain work authorization throughout the fellowship. Arizona State University does not offer visa
sponsorship to candidates for the fellowship program.)
● Having completed any graduate program within the last 7 years or graduating in Spring 2020.
Successful candidates will exhibit the following qualities:
● Ability to connect people, groups, and organizations
● Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
● Self-motivation, teamwork-orientation and entrepreneurial spirit
● Creative problem-solving skills, learning agility, and ability to adapt to change
● Comfort working with emerging technologies and their economic/social implications
● Experience in making adjustments to project strategy and implementation
● Capacity to perform in a fast-paced environment
● Superior academic achievement
How to Apply:
Deadline is Monday, March 30, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. MST.
Step 1: Create a single Adobe Acrobat (.PDF) document that includes the following components in this order:
1. Cover letter that addresses your interest in the fellowship, your interest in Arizona State University and/or your interest in helping to build ASU as an innovative institution. Cover letter should also highlight examples of how you exhibit the qualities listed in the “Eligibility and Qualifications” section above.
2. Resume, including employment listed in month/year format (e.g. August 2005-July 2008), job title, job duties/accomplishments and name of employing organization for each position. Education should include the month and year each academic degree was received. If the degree has not yet been earned, list the anticipated graduation date. Resume should also include a reference to your superior academic achievement.
3. Contact information for three professional references, including name, mailing address, phone number and
email address for each.
4. Response to the following prompt: “In 300 words or less, describe the most innovative university process,
practice or initiative that you have encountered.”
5. Writing sample demonstrating your skill in writing, critical thinking, analysis and synthesis of ideas/information.
Email your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "2020 Fellowship Application" by the deadline. Be sure to remember application materials should clearly exhibit the qualifications listed in the “Eligibility and Qualifications” section above.
Step 2: Complete the required Fellowship in University Innovation form. This form is required to complete your
Fellowship application. This form will be emailed to you after you complete Step 1.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. EO/AA Statement:
https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html Title IX Statement: https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/ .
Please visit http://appliedinnovation.asu.edu/fellowship for additional details about the University Innovation Fellowship.
Arizona State University
Office of Applied Innovation
300 E. University Dr.
Tempe, AZ 85281
2020-2021 Fellowship in University Innovation
at Arizona State University
The University Innovation Fellowship ( http://appliedinnovation.asu.edu/fellowship ) at Arizona State University (ASU) is designed to engage early- and…