15 Allerton Street
PLEASE APPLY DIRECTLY ON OUR SITE! Do not submit resumes through Indeed or other External Sources as it does not capture the full application.
About City on a Hill (CoaH):
City on a Hill graduates college-ready students that are responsible, resourceful and respectful democratic citizens, who are prepared to compete in 21st century community, culture and commerce. We do so by emphasizing academic achievement, citizenship, teacher leadership, and public accountability.
City on a Hill began with a single high school in Boston, opening its doors in 1995. Currently we have three locations: Circuit Street (Roxbury, MA) Dudley Square (Roxbury, MA) and New Bedford. We invite you to join our nationally recognized team of innovative and collegial educators who are fully committed to a culturally diverse faculty and student body.
Please note that this position is based out of our Network Office in Roxbury, MA.
As a member of the City on a Hill Charter Public Schools network office, reporting to the CFO, the Controller will be primarily responsible for the management and oversight of CoaH finances for the network office and all schools. The Controller will operate with a team of individuals in developing and implementing a series of systems and procedures that enable CoaH to effectively manage its finances and achieve its goals. The Controller is accountable for the accounting operations including period financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records and a set of controls.
Financial systems and controls
- Ensure the network and its schools have effective systems in place for accounts payable, accounts receivable, balance sheet and cash flow management;
- Ensure that effective training, systems and reports are in place to assist school leaders and budget line owners with managing their budgets;
- Develop systems for monthly, quarterly and annual reconciliations and execute items on close-out check lists as needed;
- Develop and maintain a documented system of financial policies and procedures, and ensure these procedures conform to generally accepted accounting principles;
- Ensure the organization is up to date regarding compliance and best practices with school districts, DESE, and other state and federal regulations, tax, and accounting issues; and
- Proactively anticipate and adapt systems, processes, and controls as the organization grows.
Expense, revenue, assets, and cash flow reporting
- Develop systems for effectively monitoring and analyzing expenses, revenue, assets, and cash flow against budgets and forecasts;
- Prepare monthly and quarterly journal entries for the Network and schools, and reconcile balance sheet and other accounts monthly as appropriate;
- Prepare the CoaH Network and school monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, and ensure the reports are accurate and meaningful
- Effectively communicate the organization's financial position to a variety of stakeholders, including the boards of directors, school district leaders, DESE, and institutional funders;
- Develop systems for ensuring the accurate reconciliation of CoaH Network's school-based finances with district financial systems; and
- Develop productive relationships with other members of district or state finance teams as required.
- Work with academic program staff to manage federal and state entitlement fund budgeting, accounting, reporting, reimbursements. Continually monitors and analyzes revenue and expense activities to ensure accurate allocations
- National School Lunch Program: Work with operations staff to ensure data is collected and retained, and the monthly reimbursement claims are submitted in a timely manner.
- Transportation- Submit annual reimbursement claim and ensure student eligibility and participation data and collected and retained, including separate transportation expenses for SPED, homeless, and out of district students.
- Medicaid – Manage third party vendor contract and provide data to submit quarterly and annual reimbursement claims of eligible expenses and staff time.
- ERATE – Work with operations and IT staff to maximize reimbursements for all internet, telecommunications and connectivity expenses. Monitor program changes to ensure compliance and anticipate changes in funding requirements.
Organizational audit, grant-specific audits, and other grant-reporting requirements
- Ensure organization and schools within the network receive a clean audit opinion every year;
- Ensure the CoaH Network and its schools are complying with all grant requirements, including requirements for federal and state grants; and
- Prepare the DESE End of Year Financial report and other financial reports for schools and network office.
- Bachelors’ Degree in Accounting
- Master in Business Administration or CPA certification
- Five to ten years of experience in accounting or financial management
- Relentless attention to detail
- Excellent verbal, written, and analytical skills
- Flexibility, alacrity, equanimity
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize multiple simultaneous high-priority workstreams
- Drivers’ license and car to move among school facilities
- Non-profit financial management experience, charter school finance and/or public education finance
The City on a Hill Instructional Philosophy and Background:
City on a Hill is a Network of teacher-centered charter public high schools in Boston and New Bedford dedicated to improving urban education and getting all of its graduates into and through college. As one of the original fourteen charter public schools in the Commonwealth, City on a Hill schools have college-prep standards within a rigorous curriculum.
City on a Hill Charter Public Schools are high schools determined to teach each and every one of its students the academic skills he or she will need to succeed in college and beyond. Our school leaders, faculty, and students are committed and ready to dedicate the time, energy, and hard work to achieve the school’s mission. The school’s mission is predicated on the belief that not only can all students learn, but all students must learn in order to embrace their rights and responsibilities as American citizens and acquire the academic and cultural capital to improve their community.
It is the policy of City on a Hill Charter Public Schools to obtain all available Federal and State background information through both SAFIS (Statewide Applicant Fingerprint Identification Services) and CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information), as allowed by law, of all employees and prospective employees of the school.
City on a Hill provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, City on a Hill complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply on our website using the following link: https://coah.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=299