Originally founded in 1991 as Harlem RBI, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 youth across East Harlem and the South Bronx through a network of six PreK-12, extended-day, extended-year DREAM Charter Schools and community sports-based youth development programs. Through our commitment to rigorous academics, social-emotional learning, deep family and community engagement, and health and wellness, we create lifelong learners who are equipped to fulfill their vision of success in and out of the classroom. We dream big, as well, with an aggressive five-year plan to expand to serve 3,500 students across seven schools—growing our organization's impact and leveling the playing field for all children. To learn more, visit wearedream.org.
Our award winning sports-based youth development program is seeking dynamic individuals to serve as our Boys JV Basketball Head and Assistant Coaches for our high school team, which competes as part of the Charter School Athletic League. The ideal candidate has experience coaching high school-aged students, and has an understanding of basketball as a player and coach.
Coaches are key members of the Athletics Health & Wellness team and ensure the continued excellence, growth and sustainability of DREAM's Athletics programs.
- Create and submit practice plans;
- Facilitate 1-3 practices per week;
- Lead logistics around athlete arrival and departure;
- Drive engagement and recruitment of athletes onto the team;
- Manage roster and game strategy on game day;
- Supervise and manage team and individual behavior at all times using positive discipline techniques and proactive interventions to ensure the physical and emotional safety of all scholars;
- Ensure that youth are physically safe around the supervision and transportation (when necessary);
- Follow all COVID safety protocols put in place by the organization including sanitizing of equipment, spacial awareness, mask wearing, etc;
- Make sure attendance is taken at all practices and games in response to CDC COVID guidelines;
- Model sports-like behavior and maintain appropriate conduct towards players, spectators, and others;
- Model and encourage positive youth behaviors and promote DREAM's mission, values and organizational policies to all staff, participants and stakeholders;
- Other duties as required.
- An understanding of basketball rules and regulations required;
- Experience working with school-age children required;
- Ability to uphold, promote, and model sport-based youth development principles;
- 2+ years of coaching experience preferred;
- Previous experience playing competitive basketball at the high school and/or college level preferred;
- CPR/First Aid certification, a plus;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, organization skills and attention to detail;
- A strong belief in the mission and values of DREAM, including the belief that all students can succeed, and a deep desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families, and community.
- September 1, 2022 - December 15, 2022
- 2 days/week 5:30pm-8:30pm
- Dates and hours are tentative and subject to change.
- Practices take place in East Harlem
- Game locations vary
- Compensation is based on experience and role:
- High School Head Coach - $25/hour
- High School Assistant Coach - $23/hour
DREAM's VACCINATION POLICY
DREAM requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees, including a booster dose. Part-time staff hired for the summer season only, are exempt from the booster dose, however they must have received a 2-dose series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. Reasonable Accommodations based on a qualifying disability or sincerely held religious belief are being considered in accordance with applicable law.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
At DREAM, diversity, equity, and inclusion are a matter of mission.
From our schools to our playing fields, DREAM is committed to building a team where each individual can bring their full identity and experience to work because representation matters—it enriches our team culture, enhances our ability to innovate, and strengthens our impact in and out of the classroom. DREAM engages staff that represent and appreciate the diversity of our majority Black and Hispanic student body, while working to ensure that our practices are equitable, welcoming, and productive. We are dedicated to creating a world where youth, especially youth of color, have permission to dream—along with the tools and opportunities to make their dreams reality.
Come dream with us.
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/6eOXBlCYkw5m2TM4bSxmYd" />