Reports to: Deputy Director, Center for American Progress Action Fund
Staff reporting to this position: Digital Media Coordinator and two Digital Media Associates
Department: CAP Action War Room
Position classification: Exempt, full time
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Director of Digital Creative to help lead a team that develops innovative and compelling digital video and social content that aims to build the emotional and visual case for progressive values, using stories to broaden the progressive movement. We utilized human stories to great effect in defending the Affordable Care Act and are embarking on an ambitious project to develop compelling personal stories for digital distribution in order to build a stronger progressive movement. Content will be deployed in a variety of contexts including legislative fights and electoral races. We’re looking for a Director who appreciates the power of a good story and understands how to craft one. A strong candidate should also be able to effectively manage and oversee a team that develops, designs, and produces digital and video content for all platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube, and has the technical skills to produce visual content as necessary. Social media experience, strong news sensibilities, expertise with digital and video tools, and attention to detail are musts.
- Manage the War Room’s video and graphics team and work with outside consultants and vendors as needed to drive the creative process and generate impactful content.
- Pitch, develop, and execute video and graphic projects that advance our advocacy goals.
- Translate complex ideas into easily digestible and socially shareable messages using graphics and video.
- Work closely with the Storybank team to identify compelling stories and turn them into effective digital content.
- Work with the Center’s Communications team and War Room Campaign Managers to brainstorm, craft, and disseminate innovative and creative visual content.
- Partner with the Social Media Director to ensure that we are creating content tailored to the audiences we are trying to reach.
- Stay tuned to the latest trends and best practices for digital and creative content.
- Mix media and software to create images, videos, and animations that sharply and effectively deliver the message of a campaign.
- Conceptually and creatively visualize news content.
- Produce shareable videos for web using a combination of clips, original footage, and animation.
- Swiftly produce aesthetically appealing and error-free work.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least 8 years of professional experience working in digital media with a focus on graphics and video.
- Expertise crafting video content and a knack for storytelling through the medium.
- A keen eye for design.
- Creative with a commitment to innovation and experimentation.
- Solid understanding of progressive values and politics and how they intersect with the news.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Strong managerial skills.
- Detail-oriented with an ability to juggle multiple pieces for different stakeholders in a given day.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS preferred.
- A positive attitude and an aptitude for developing new skills as needed.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.