Housing Up (HU) is one of the leading non-profit organizations in Washington DC – helping more than 700 homeless and at-risk households to transform their own lives. We provide the full spectrum of housing, which includes permanent supportive, rapid rehousing, transitional, and affordable rental housing. Households also receive supportive services include case management, employment services, clinical services, housing counseling, resident services, life skills, and youth programming.
The Site-Based Permanent Supportive Housing Case Manager is responsible for delivering intensive services to individuals who have experienced chronic homelessness and have been diagnosed with a mental health or physical disability. Additionally, individuals may be economically and/or emotionally detached from their support networks. Through this work, the case manager will help individuals to improve basic life and interpersonal skills, access physical and mental health care, maintain stable housing within the assisted living placement. The case manager will also ensure that individual is linked to public benefits, such as Medicaid, SNAP, and TANF. Ultimately, these services are focused on ensuring that clients are empowered to achieve the highest level of self-sufficiency possible. While participating in this program, individuals will live at a site-based permanent supportive housing assisted living program, located in Washington, DC.
At the core of this work is a strengths-based assessment, which explores the 4 Pillars of Housing Up Case Management – Household Finances, Unit Management, Health and Mental Health, and Family Life and Social Support. The assessment will serve as the foundation for goals related to these 4 Pillars. The assessment must be updated as often as necessary, but no less frequently than quarterly.
The case manager will meet with each family weekly to discuss these goals and to collaboratively establish reasonable action steps.
In support of these goals, the case manager will:
• Develop successful working relationships with clients that support their ability to increase their self-reliance, independent living skills, and housing stability.
• Assist clients with day-to-day living and ensure client compliance with housing and community-related regulations and rules.
• Influence and recognize positive behavior changes and identify problems and obstacles that threaten to undermine the client’s goals.
• Organize and facilitate social and recreational activities designed to promote community involvement and peer support.
• Serve as an ongoing liaison between property managers and clients.
• Successfully mediate conflict between clients.
• Intervene when crises occur and combine de-escalation techniques with proactive planning to minimize reoccurrence.
• Assist in developing and encouraging adherence to a personal budget through pro-active and meaningful housing and budget counseling sessions. Provide budget counseling and education to assist clients in establishing payments plans for bills and past debts, so that clients successfully maintain their housing.
• Proactively aide clients in becoming connected to supportive services and work collaboratively as a team to advance client goals.
• Ensure the integrity and confidentiality of all client information.
• Maintain current records in Housing the Homeless (HTH) database and paper case files, documenting interactions with residents in a standardized format used by Housing Up.
• Capture program statistics and other required reports as directed.
• Participate in Housing Up special events, helping to share information about Housing Up and working, as needed, to ensure event success.
• Attend staff meetings and other meetings as required by supervisor.
• Other duties as required.
• Bachelor’s degree in a field of study related to human services.
APPLICABLE EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS
• One (1) year of experience working with individual who have been at risk of homelessness or who have experienced homelessness.
• Experienced at a site-based environment is preferred.
• Familiarity with the Strengths-Based and Housing First approaches to case management.
• Well-versed in trauma-informed service delivery, with experience executing this approach in housing programs.
• Ability to provide services with empathy and with consideration of how trauma impacts the mental, physical, and psychological responses of clients.
• Demonstrated ability to partner with youth clients who have experienced mental health challenges, trauma, crisis, and community stress and successfully empower them to overcome their challenges.
• Ability to establish and maintain trusting relationships – patience & perseverance.
• Ability to de-escalates crises and prevent reoccurrence.
• Excellent verbal, written and problem-solving abilities. An upbeat demeanor is required.
• Working knowledge of DC area community resources to address client needs.
• Knowledge of substance abuse/recovery, family systems, and mental health care.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Strong documentation and reporting skills.
• Strong planning and organizational skills.
• Ability to prioritize effectively while managing multiple tasks and responsibilities.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL EFFORT
• The case manager will primarily work from a site-based permanent supportive housing program in Washington, DC. Employees here will require flexibility to work night and/or weekends when necessary and with advanced notice.
• Requires ability to sit up to 3-6 hours per day with intermittent occasional walking and standing.
• Must be available to participate in after hours on-call rotation, as well as be on call during inclement weather.
• Candidate must be computer literate and be able to navigate MS Office software (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Candidate must also possess a valid driver’s license and have a vehicle, as well as proof of auto insurance.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
$50k - $55k, commensurate with work experience
Housing Up (HU) is one of the leading non-profit organizations in Washington DC – helping more than 700 homeless and at-risk households to transform their own lives. We provide the full spectrum of housing, which includes permanent…