2201 Broadway Ave
Temporary Internal Organizer - Various Locations in California
AFSCME Local 3299 is a dynamic, progressive, militant, member driven labor union that represents 24,000 service and patient care workers on all of the University of California campuses and Medical Centers. We are a statewide local and use an organizing-focused model for both internal and external organizing work.
Job Title: Temporary Internal Organizer
Locations: Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Riverside, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, San Diego, and San Francisco
Purpose Organizers are responsible for conducting internal, and sometimes external organizing campaigns by organizing workplace committees, making home visits, performing worker assessments, planning and carrying out worksite organizing and comprehensive campaigns. Organizer’s will be expected to target issues, identify workplace leaders and recruit them as Member Action Team leaders, and move workers to use collective action to solve workplace issues.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Recruit and develop worksite leaders to become involved in the Member Action Team and other union activities.
- Develops volunteer organizers and/or lost timers from within the AFSCME membership.
- Develops broad, representative organizing committees of worksite leaders, and trains them to move worksite organizing campaigns.
- Visits job sites to communicate with workers.
- Visits workers in their homes.
- Writes leaflets and other materials for organizing campaigns.
- Obtains and creates employee charts. Maintains list, which may include input on, and operation of, computerized database systems.
- Informs Lead Organizer and other supervisors of activities, developments and progress of organizing activity, including worker meetings.
- Uses knowledge of basic labor law such as FMLA, ADA, OSHA, Workers Compensation and Fair Housing and Employment.
- Meets goals and deadlines.
- Promptly return phone calls, especially to members.
- Complete administrative tasks such as Expense or Hudson Reports.
- Accepts and applies feedback and constructive criticism from Lead Organizer or other supervisor.
- Performs related work as required.
Directions and Decision Making This position reports to a Lead Organizer and/or other supervisor. Direct supervision and direction will be from a Lead Organizer or other supervisor as assigned. Organizers are expected to report regularly to a Lead Organizer or other assigned supervisor.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma and 6 months to 3 years experience in union organizing; or successful completion of an AFSCME 3299 or the like Internship: or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of union organizing practice and principles.
- Leadership and motivational skills
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Fluent bilingual skills are desirable.
- Knowledge of anti-union employer tactics.
- Basic knowledge of labor laws, especially with respect to union organizing.
- Basic computer skills, such as Word, Excel, and E-Mail Programs.
- Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
- Salary is competitive. Excellent benefits include: medical, dental, vision, car allowance, car insurance reimbursement, and educational reimbursement and opportunities for advancement.
Physical Requirements (as required by ADA) Work is performed in a variety of employment settings. Driving, travel, temporary assignments, irregular and extended work hours are required. Valid driver’s license and car required.
Language Bilingual Spanish/Cantonese/English is preferred for this position.
Benefits and field package included
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual Spanish/Cantonese/English is preferred for this position.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should send cover letter, resume and 3 references with Temporary Internal Organizer (Please specify location (Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Riverside, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, San Diego, and San Francisco) in the subject line to: email@example.com