148 West 37 Street
The Horticultural Society of New York (The Hort) seeks a Greenhouse and Kitchen Garden Manager (the Manager) for our new 2,500 square foot educational greenhouse and 1,500 square foot surrounding gardens in Harlem, New York. The greenhouse is a learning center geared towards children, families, and community, emphasizing nutrition, homegrown production, and other urban agriculture opportunities. This opportunity requires both a high level of plant care knowledge and a high degree of comfort working with the public. The mission of the center is to introduce urban residents to the many benefits of plants in our lives, and to develop lifelong gardeners.
The Manager will be responsible for the operations and programs associated with our greenhouse facilities, vegetable garden and ornamental gardens. Working in concert with the Chief of Horticulture, this position will schedule and oversee all work associated with propagating, plating, watering, monitoring, acquiring, and maintaining the plants and facilities needed to execute the Greenhouse & Kitchen Garden program to established high standards, including:
Develop, implement, and document a year-round vegetable production schedule
Develop, implement, and document the interior and exterior seasonal displays associated with the greenhouse and surrounding gardens
Maintain the ornamental collections throughout the greenhouse and gardens
Teach horticulture to children, adults and staff
Oversight of the educators and other staff as they assist in plant care
· Degree in Horticulture or relevant certificate.
· 2+ years Greenhouse experience, proficiency in greenhouse care and growing, vegetable and flower gardening, design and installation of interior and exterior floral displays, and knowledge of urban landscaping
· Ability to plan and teach garden workshops
· Demonstrated ability to create a yearly operating budget and keep accurate records of expenses
· Possess a valid NYS driver license
· Knowledge of organic Integrated Pest Management
· Good written and verbal skills
· Self-motivated, team player with excellent communication skills
Generous vacation package plus 50% of group health plan
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To be considered please email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to George Pisegna at firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Greenhouse Manager' in the subject line. No phone calls please.