Position: Fund Development Manager
Department: Marketing and Fund Development
Location: Berkeley, CA
Status: Regular, part-time, non-exempt / 30 hours
Salary: Depends on Experience
Job posting date: October 9, 2018
Resources for Community Development (RCD) is a leading regional nonprofit developer and owner of affordable housing for people who are low-income. RCD’s mission is to create and preserve affordable housing for people with the fewest options, to build communities and enrich lives. RCD fosters strong, inclusive neighborhoods through strategies that address the health, economic development, education, and housing needs of residents across the community.
Since RCD was established in 1984, our company has developed over 65 properties that provide affordable, high quality and service-enriched affordable rental housing to over 2,200 low-income households in the Bay Area. With the critical need for affordable housing and a growing homeless population, RCD is expanding to serve more people with housing and social services as we work within neighborhoods to strengthen the communities where we own properties.
Major Job Responsibilities and Duties
The Fund Development Manager (FDM) helps meet strategic funding goals that will increase our impact on affordable housing, resident services and community development. We are looking for an experienced fundraiser and communicator with a passion for our mission and the technical as well as soft skills needed to meet a demanding workload. RCD has a proven fund development and communications strategy that we work continuously to improve. We welcome candidates who want to help develop ways to innovate and reshape our fund development program.
Areas of responsibility in fundraising and communications include direct mail campaigns, special events, social media and newsletters, marketing materials, and some grant proposals and reports. The FDM collaborates throughout the organization and externally to gain understanding of RCD’s work and the external environment in which we work. The FDM then holds this vision in order to articulate the impact that RCD has and the challenges we face in ways that engage diverse audiences and move them to support us. The following are examples of the job duties.
Manage donor giving through fund development campaigns (approximately 50% of time)
- Communicate with donors to understand their interests.
- Lead the anniversary event planning and smaller relationship building opportunities, including planning the theme and style, requesting sponsorship and in-kind donations, managing the invitation process from design to the guest list, negotiating contracts, and monitoring the budget.
- Write and produce the annual campaign, including a letter and other appeals to donors and partners.
Create engaging digital and print content that supports RCD communications strategies and conveys impact, challenges, and needs (approximately 20% of time)
- Research, write and produce posts to social media channels and the RCD website, create and distribute e-news and print newsletters, and develop other materials that convey our mission and work.
- Maintain photo and story banks of both RCD and external links to materials to use in communications.
Support internal marketing and fund development administration (approximately 15% of time)
- Update existing and develop new marketing materials that help tell the RCD story.
- Assist other staff in preparing proposals, presentations and reports.
- Use donor database to enter contacts and track all donations and produce gift acknowledgement letters and provide internal reports based on accurately maintained records for donations, relationship management and contact lists.
Other duties as assigned, training and participation in company-wide activities (approximately 15% of time)
We are looking for an experienced fundraiser with a grounding in the fundamentals of professional fundraising. Candidates must have experience in donor cultivation and stewardship, communications, event planning, and strategic planning for fundraising. Applicants should have at least 3 years relevant work experience in fundraising and creating marketing and communications material, with experience maintaining and tracking systems that support analysis of results. In addition to direct responsibility for meeting fund development goals, applicants will need to demonstrate skills in the following areas:
- Relating to people from diverse backgrounds and interests
- Setting goals, objectives and strategies that meet defined outcomes
- Working collaboratively to understand complex programs with the ability to distill the information for a variety of audiences
- Speaking, writing, editing, and proofing skills that produce clear and effective communication for a variety of audiences
- Leading project management of tasks from start to finish, with the ability to complete work independently on multiple projects to meet all objectives on schedule
- Grant writing to private and foundation funders (desirable)
- Competency in Microsoft Office, database and CRM management, scheduling and posting to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube, and Constant Contact or other email systems. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and WordPress is desirable.
The majority of time is spent in a sedentary office environment, though there may be occasional off-site activities that require driving or occur outside regular business hours. Applicant must pass a background screening. Applicant must be able to lift twenty pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
RESOURCES FOR COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
This position features full benefits including: paid vacation and sick leave; health, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance; pre-tax flexible spending and commuter check plans; and employer contributions to a retirement savings plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application Procedure, Salary and Benefits
Please send a cover letter or email with a statement of what about this job interests you, your most relevant experience and your salary expectation, with your resume and a sample of your fundraising writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Fund Development Manager” in the subject line. Please include all information requested. We will contact qualified candidates for an interview. No calls, please.