Smart from the Start (SMART) is seeking a thoughtful, resourceful, and energetic Development and PR Associate to support organizational funding and PR efforts as we continue to aspire to expand programming and promote change in the communities we serve. Smart from the Start is a family support, community engagement and school readiness initiative, serving young children and families in nine neighborhoods across the city of Boston and in Washington, DC. Now in its 10th year, SMART is making significant progress in improving outcomes for those with infinite potential, but limited access to resources and opportunities.
Smart has as its mission to:
• Expand and strengthen early learning opportunities for young children;
• Promote parents’ role as their children’s first teacher;
• Provide services and supports to underserved families;
• Build neighborhood will, understanding and capacity to support school readiness.
SMART is a grassroots, family and community-driven organization and offers a comprehensive, coordinated set of services for parents, caregivers and children to support school readiness, including home visiting, parenting education and support, adult education, information and referrals to vital services, fun and educational programs for parents and caregivers together, and activities to support a community-wide focus on school readiness.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES FOR SMART DEVELOPMENT AND PR ASSOCIATE:
SMART’s Development and PR Associate will support the SMART Executive Director and staff team by:
• Researching and cultivating foundation, individual, government and in-kind funding opportunities for Smart from the Start;
• Maintaining a database of current, pending and potential funders;
• Assisting with adapting and submitting LOIs, proposals and applications for funding and support;
• Planning and coordinating site visits;
• Assisting the Executive Director in developing strategies to raise the profile and funding potential for SMART;
• Preparing and submitting reports as required by funders;
• Maintaining the website, and social media pages;
• Assisting with preparation and distribution of press releases;
• Creating and following up upon media, and other opportunities to raise the visibility of Smart from the Start;
• Writing and distributing quarterly newsletter;
• Assisting with special events and fundraisers;
• Other duties as deemed appropriate by Executive Director.
Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred. The ideal candidates will demonstrate a strong curiosity for discovering the motivation of SMART donors and will develop strategies to build on the current fundraising success of the organization. Although candidates who have extensive experience in development and fundraising in the non-profit community or a related field, as well as demonstrated success in securing funding for non-profit organizations are preferred, applicants who present a willingness to apply skills gained from a sales and/or marketing background will be considered. Candidates who demonstrate a strong desire to create sustainable change for culturally diverse children and families from economically disadvantaged communities will be carefully considered. SMART applicants should also have the ability to develop strong working relationships with others (individuals, families, co-workers, and community agencies), have a strong knowledge of and familiarity with Boston neighborhoods, community organizations, and schools, possess superb written and oral communication skills, and will have ability to work independently and as part of a diverse team.
This position will report to the Associate Director of Operations.
Hours: Part- time to full-time; 25-40 hrs./week and may include some evenings and weekends.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Applications will not be read without:
• A cover letter describing your interest, qualifications, and where you learned of the position;
• An updated resume;
• A salary history.
Smart from the Start, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications should be sent via e-mail only in Word or PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.