IHI is a leading innovator in health and health care improvement worldwide. For more than 25 years, we have partnered with visionaries, leaders, and front-line practitioners around the globe to spark bold, inventive ways to improve the health of individuals and populations. Recognized as an innovator, convener, trustworthy partner, and driver of results, we are the first place to turn for expertise, help, and encouragement for anyone, anywhere who wants to change health and health care profoundly for the better. Learn more at ihi.org.
As an integral IHI team member, the Project Director is responsible for the successful planning and execution of a portfolio of projects within selected content areas. The Project Director facilitates the project team, faculty, Improvement Advisors, and IHI lead to deliver the most effective and efficient programs and services to improve health and health care outcomes worldwide. Specifically, IHI seeks a Project Director with specific experience in the area of value management.
Specific Position Responsibilities:
- Leadership of IHI's Emerging "Value Portfolio"
- Working closely with a Co-Lead for this Portfolio, manage the overall interaction and coordination of activities and products in this content area of IHI's work, as well leadership of key results-oriented initiatives at IHI.
- Shepherd the evolution and innovation of Value Portfolio content, including developing a pipeline of possible new content areas; understanding market need for specific content; identifying new innovation topics; assessing life cycle of content areas and opportunities for refresh of content when needed; and ensuring the delivery of the most effective and efficient programs to drive better patient results.
- Leadership and Relationship Management
- Lead effective project teams to achieve desired results
- Build and maintain strong relationships with customers, partners, and faculty; negotiate difficult conversations to a desired end while maintaining trust and respect
- Mentor and develop staff to reach their highest potential
- Optimize work and projects for overall organizational success
- Provide thought leadership to one or more of IHI's focus areas or content areas
- Actively promote the diversity of IHI's faculty and staff by identifying and developing emerging leaders from projects and programs
- Project Direction and Design
- Drive project design, including conversations with customers, developing proposals, etc. (in conjunction with New Business)
- Lead the development of the the overall vision and strategy for a project
- Establish clear project goals that can be tracked and summarized over time
- Work with the Project Manager to support project timelines, budgets, and deliverables
- Consult with external organizations and senior leaders to cultivate, test, and implement system improvements
- Design and improve program activities, including modifying program structures, creating curricula, designing trainings and agendas, and testing new approaches to meet desired goals
- Lead and facilitate high-level external meetings (virtual and in-person)
- Along with Improvement Advisors, teach and apply IHI's core methodology (e.g., reliability, spread, improvement science) to accelerate partner results; coach individual teams to maintain pace
- In collaboration with the Improvement Advisor, review and analyze individual and collective team data and reports and make recommendations in project content and coaching to achieve results
- Lead the timely completion and adaptation of the IHI Five Core Design Components for Results-focused projects
- Content Development and Dissemination
- Identify and develop new opportunities for IHI content, programs, or products
- Develop and execute dissemination plans, including writing blogs, publishing articles with faculty, speaking to reporters, and presenting at conferences
- Act as a spokesperson and representative for the project; present at meetings, external visits, and IHI conferences
Position Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with leading a successful quality improvement program
- Knowledge of and experience with the US-based healthcare context
- Knowledge of and experience with value-based care and population management
- Able to maneuver through complex political situations to achieve desired outcomes
- Ability and skill to drive and achieve quality results within complex, time constrained goals
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written), including superior presentation skills
- Able to think about whole systems, rather than optimize for one part
- Create a compelling vision and build motivation with internal and external teams
- Negotiation, decision making, and delegation skills
- Able to effectively coach and motivate customer teams
- Drive to effectively develop self and others
- Must be an approachable mentor, employee advocate, and team leader
- Able to actively support, communicate, and teach the unique culture and values of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement
- Bachelor's degree required, advanced degree highly preferred
- Experience or knowledge of health care required
- Experience in health system transformation or public health preferred but not required
- Training and experience with Improvement Methods required
- Must have seven to ten years experience working in a team within a complex professional environment
- Three to five years of experience leading teams of professionals preferred
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint is required
- IHI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, political beliefs, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation to complete our application, please let us know.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.