About Open Heart Magic
Open Heart Magic is a unique children’s charity helping sick kids get their magic back. We recruit and train volunteers to bring Bedside Magic to hospitalized kids, regardless of their medical situation, with 14 Hospital partners through Chicagoland, Cleveland, and Ann Arbor. For over 15 years, OHM has brought professional-level sleight of hand magic to thousands of kids in hospitals each year, empowering them with their own magic tricks and taking their minds off their fear for just a short time.
For an inspiring overview of how OHM helps kids in hospitals, please check out this 2 minute video.
About the Operations Manager position
The OHM community is full of dynamic, talented, and dedicated people – more than 200 people commit their time and talents as magicians, Board Members, Professional Board members, and Charity Team athletes. A team of just 4 full-time employees manages every aspect of this crucial community, so we’re looking for someone who is eager to dig in and provide some magic of their own.
Here’s the candidate we’re looking for:
- A data-loving, Excel pro who loves owning and managing a database
- An independent problem-solver who will get to the bottom of something to handle it efficiently and accurately
- An outgoing, positive person who will engage easily with volunteers and donors
- An organized, list-making, deadline-driven achiever who can handle lots of administrative details (it is a non-profit for goodness sakes)
- A strong writer and great editor
Here’s what you should have:
- 2-4 years of operations experience, preferably in non-profit. Salesforce experience is crucial, Mailchimp is a plus, willingness to learn other technology is a must.
- Ability to lift and move boxes, set up events, and get your hands dirty as needed.
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends for special events or meetings.
- A love of juggling multiple projects and working collaboratively.
- A deep understanding of Excel, formulas, reporting, tracking, and all things data.
- Access to reliable transportation to OHM’s downtown Chicago office (Loop).
Here’s what you’d spend your time doing:
- Bookkeeping support – preparing information for our external bookkeepers; managing outgoing checks and payments; handling incoming donations and bank deposits
- Donor management – inputting and tracking donation information; matching gift processes; gift reports; thank you letter drafting; annual report data management; data analysis for stewardship and solicitation strategies
- Office administration – managing vendor relationships, including invoicing and ordering; tracking and monitoring budget and expense categories; assisting with budget planning; acting as liaison to our auditor for annual audit, providing requested data
- Special events and projects – organizing food, drinks, and other services for select events; tracking RSVPs, sources, etc; providing day-of support for set-up, check-in, tracking of cash and checks, and tear-down.
- Other duties as assigned – it’s not just a catch-all here, we are looking for someone eager to get their hands in whatever project needs support that week. A willingness to pitch in as needed will get you far.
Compensation & Benefits
- Compensation: $40,000 - $45,000 depending on relevant experience and education
- Full time position, with great medical insurance and a 401K option
- Use of Mac laptop provided
- Use of iPhone provided after 6 month probation
- Monthly Ventra card
- Time off for sick days, vacation, holidays
- Future compensation based on performance and OHM growth
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please follow these specific instructions:
Please submit your resume as a PDF and answer the following questions in the body of your email. Please email your response to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Explain why you want to do this type of work for a non-profit and, specifically, for Open Heart Magic.
- How do you tackle a project that you’ve never done before?
- What is the most complex, data-focused project you’ve worked on? What were your favorite and least favorite parts about that project?
- Please list the top 5 software and/or online applications you are most proficient with.
Best of luck. We think you’re already incredible for wanting to work for a non-profit that helps kids. Thanks for applying.