Good Old Lower East Side (GOLES) is a neighborhood housing and preservation organization that has served the Lower East Side of Manhattan since 1977. We’re dedicated to tenants’ rights, homelessness prevention, economic development, and community revitalization. GOLES’ long-term goals are to:
● Build the power of low-income residents to fight displacement and gentrification;
● Preserve and expand the low-income housing stock;
● Assert community self-determination over the use of public space; and
● Ensure a clean and healthy environment where people live, work, and play.
We achieve these goals through three interconnected strategies: 1) Direct Services, 2) Resident Education, and 3) Community Organizing.
The Director of Organizing plans and supervises the organization’s various campaigns, manages the organizing team, and is in charge of the organization's membership recruitment, retention, and leadership development efforts. The position reports directly to the Executive Director (ED) and, as a member of the organization’s leadership team, works to ensure that the organization’s strategic plans, goals, and mission are met.
● Supervise, train, and mentor organizing staff, interns, apprentices, and volunteers, including ensuring adequate work planning, performance evaluation, and professional development.
● Develop, implement, and oversee campaigns alongside organizers, members, and other stakeholders.
● Revamp GOLES' membership structure, policies, and practices.
● Develop a membership recruitment and retention plan.
● Ensure the engagement of all members with the organization's various areas of work.
● Oversee membership recruitment, training, leadership development, and participation in "steering committees."
● Develop and facilitate meetings, workshops, trainings, forums, campaign planning sessions/retreats, direct actions, and other special events.
● Create grant and other reports, evaluation metrics, and work plans alongside the ED.
● Develop a strong relationship, and lead strategic engagement activities, with community stakeholders including residents, elected officials, and other organizations.
● Lead special projects, campaigns, and funding initiatives as directed by the ED.
● Participate in organizational leadership meetings, strategic planning, and other activities.
Strong candidates will possess most (or all) of the following:
● A Bachelor’s degree.
● A strong understanding of organizing methodologies and best practices.
● At least 5 years of organizing experience and 2 years supervisory experience.
● An understanding of NYC and NYS elected bodies and officials and their relationships with CBOs.
● A firm grasp of NYC organizing, including rent regulated and public housing, and land use organizing.
● The ability to speak Spanish.
● A good sense of the issues faced by the residents of the Lower East Side.
Good Old Lower East Side (GOLES) is a neighborhood housing and preservation organization that has served the Lower East Side of Manhattan since 1977. We’re dedicated to tenants’ rights, homelessness prevention, economic development, and…
Spanish proficiency (preferred).
Spanish proficiency (preferred).
Candidates should email a resume and a cover letter detailing their interest and qualifications to email@example.com. Due to the high volume of applications, only candidates considered for further consideration will be contacted. GOLES is an equal opportunity employer.
Candidates should email a resume and a cover letter detailing their interest and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the high volume of applications, only candidates…