Vital Strategies, based in New York City, is an international public health organization. We develop and oversee programs to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communication, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities. Our specific programs include road safety, obesity prevention, tobacco control, and activities to strengthen public health data systems and use public health data to guide policy and decision-making. Activities are based in low- and middle-income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies is seeking to add expertise in substance use strategy, with a specific focus on overdose prevention. This work will begin initially in the United States.
Vital Strategies is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Communication Manager, Overdose Prevention Project. This is a full-time position based in New York City. Some domestic travel may be required for on-site engagement. Applicants must possess a valid working permit to work in New York City.
The communication manager will support the development and implementation of mass media communication campaigns and provide ongoing communication support to amplify campaigns through opinion pieces, PR opportunities and social media.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Policy, Advocacy and Communication:
- Provide strategic support for community engagement and community mobilization efforts
- Build and maintain relationships with governments, community organizations and other stakeholders involved with communication campaign work
- Provide guidance on mass media campaigns including:
o Strategic planning, goal and objective setting;
o Formative research, message/concept testing, pre- and post-campaign evaluation;
o Advertising agency selection and management, adaptation and/or creative development; production
media planning and campaign evaluation
o Media advocacy, social media and public relations to amplify campaigns
- Help Vital Strategies and its partners hire, manage and guide vendors on projects, including but not limited to: creative, production, media and PR agencies; media planners; and research companies
- Monitor grants and contracts with particular attention to media deliverables to ensure timely execution and implementation
- Assist with drafting of reports, presentations, correspondence, blogs, and meeting agendas as requested
- Provide regular reports on progress of activities and of developments related to Vital Strategies programs
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualities and Qualifications:
- B.A. or higher degree;
- Three to five years of experience in advertising, communication and/or public relations;
- Strong interest and experience in public health would be an asset.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to successfully manage competing priorities and meet deadlines;
- Excellent judgment, strategic thinker, strong initiative;
- Strong oral and written proficiencies in English.
· Provide regular reports on progress of activities and of developments related to Vital Strategies programs
· Perform other duties as assigned.
Vital Strategies offers competitive compensation for full-time employees and pro-rata for part-time employees based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where Vital Strategies pays generously towards the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partners; 15 paid vacation days (rising to 20 paid vacation days from fourth year of service and 25 from seventh year onwards), 13 paid federal holidays and paid days off between the Christmas and New Year's holidays; paid sick days; retirement savings plan; commuter benefits; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send CV and a cover letter, including salary expectations, to email@example.com indicating the position applied for in the subject line. Closing date for applications is October 29, 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.