New York University
The College Advising Corps (CAC) at New York University is a full-time program that seeks to increase the number of first-generation college bound, low-to-moderate income, and underrepresented high school and community college students who enter and persist in college and earn bachelor’s degrees.
The CAC achieves this mission by placing near-peer, recent college graduates to serve as full-time College Advisers in under-served schools across New York City. College Advisers provide college application and financial aid guidance to students and their families while fostering a culture of college attendance and higher education.
The CAC currently serves students at 23 high schools across four boroughs in New York City. This posting is for multiple, full-time College Advisers. Positions are contingent upon continued funding.
In New York the College Advising Corps is housed within the Consortium for Research and Evaluation of Advanced Technologies in Education (CREATE). CREATE engages in research on the design, critique, and evaluation of wide-ranging advanced digital technologies for learning. Projects housed in the consortium involve interdisciplinary teams of scholars and developers who bridge basic and applied research, development, and evaluation
The position will begin with 4-5 weeks of pre-service training, beginning as early as the last full week in August 2018, and the position will run through the end of June 2019. The position requires a commitment to complete two full program years.
- Work collaboratively with guidance staff, principals, teachers, and other stakeholders at partner schools to increase the awareness, preparation, and college-going disposition of underserved students
- Provide on-site advising and information about college, the application process, and financial aid
- Provide individualized support with college and financial aid applications
- Organize workshops and programming for students and their families
- Organize college tours and visits for students
- Participate in weekly staff meetings and in-service training sessions
- Track student progress toward college goals through CAC data collection tools
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Spring/Fall 2017, Spring 2018 graduates preferred.
- Ability to speak a second language a plus (Spanish, Arabic, Bengali, French preferred).
- Strong interest in providing college access services to youth from low-income families and students who would be first generation college students.
- Experience working with youth and families from diverse backgrounds.
- Proven ability to organize and manage many tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Attention to detail and excellent quantitative and record-keeping skills.
- Flexibility, creativity, independence, accountability and reliability.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel a plus
- Experience with data collection and reporting a plus
- Experience with New York City public schools a plus
- Must be eligible to complete at least one full-time term of service (for this position, the term is defined as the full academic year).
Candidates will be notified on a rolling basis until positions are filled.
Health, Vision, Dental, Retirement, Tuition Remission
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Please include "Application for NYU CAC 2018-19 College Adviser Position_ First and Last Name" in the email subject line.
Cover letter must address the following:
Why are you interested in serving as an Adviser with the College Advising Corps? Explain how your skills and background will prepare you to make the college admissions process accessible to first-generation college-bound, low-to-moderate income and underrepresented high school youth. How do you believe this experience will benefit you both personally and professionally?