175 East 104th Street
The MNN El Barrio Firehouse is seeking a Youth Media Educator to join the award-winning team responsible for developing and implementing youth education programs and activities, including training in field and television studio production, mobile storytelling, digital editing and workshops in advanced media topics. The Youth Media Educator will provide hands-on instruction and guide young people to achieve MNN Producer Certification. This is a full-time position and includes work on Saturdays and some evenings. Overall responsibilities are outlined below:
Education & Training
- Assists the MNN El Barrio Firehouse Director and Manager of Youth Education in strategic planning related to educational programs and activities of the Youth Media Center
- Teaches core classes in field and studio production to youth participants.
- Serves as point person to guide youth through the producer certification process.
- Assists in designing and writing curriculum, student manuals and other educational materials.
- Teaches other classes and workshops as needed.
- Assists in planning conferences, trips, special workshops and classes for young people and educators.
- Assists in class and workshop facilitation on- and off-site.
- Facilitates orientation sessions.
- Other tasks as assigned by Director or Manager.
- Enters confirmations, cancellations, notes, or other class updates in MNN database.
- Prepares monthly report regarding student progress and class evaluations.
- Assists with general upkeep and cleanliness of classrooms and equipment.
- Understands and implements MNN policies, rules and regulations.
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor or manager.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelors' degree in media, video production, communications, journalism or equivalent experience.
- 3 +years experience in media field.
- Minimum 2 years teaching experience.
- Demonstrated studio production, field and post-production knowledge and skills.
- Graphic design experience and knowledge of Photoshop.
- Demonstrated knowledge of new media technology platforms and skills.
- Bilingual Spanish/English preferred
Other Job Requirements
- Strong interest in community and youth media.
- Action-oriented work ethic with a commitment to making a difference.
- Exceptional organizational skills with demonstrated ability to work independently, collectively and collaboratively with minimal supervision.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated initiative in solving problems and capacity to troubleshoot and make recommendations.
- Has demonstrated ongoing commitment to learning and staying up-to-date about media issues and trends in a rapidly changing field.
- Experience with conflict resolution.
- Track record with keeping accurate & detailed records.
- Available to work evening and weekend hours.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We are accepting applicants on a rolling basis. Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Due to the volume of applications, MNN may not be able to respond individually to each applicant. No phone calls please. MNN will contact selected candidates for interviews on a rolling basis.
About MNN El Barrio Firehouse
The MNN El Barrio Firehouse Community Media Center is a state-of-the-art television production facility dedicated to media education, collaboration and production. Its pioneering Youth Media Center (YMC) offers educational programs and opportunities for young people to become 21st century communicators. Programs for young people ages 16 to 24 years old provide an understanding about media's critical role, assist producers to voice social, political and cultural concerns, and offer technical training to produce and distribute media about issues impacting their lives.
Manhattan Neighborhood Network is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.