120 South LaSalle Street, Suite 900
For more than 50 years, LAF has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year LAF’s full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions.
Position: LAF has received a new grant to substantially increase legal services for victims of domestic and sexual violence, human trafficking, elder abuse, and financial exploitation throughout Chicago and suburban Cook County. The Immigrants and Workers’ Rights Practice Group (“IWR”) at LAF is seeking a highly skilled paralegal to assist in providing direct legal services in immigration-related matters under this grant. The expected start date for this position is June 4, 2018.
Responsibilities: Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Providing immigration services to clients, specifically U visa applications with USCIS and other related immigration applications available to survivors of domestic violence, sex assault and human trafficking;
- Carrying out intake at LAF and at partner agencies working with LAF;
- Providing litigation assistance to attorneys, including obtaining police reports, seeking U visa certifications, preparing client statements, completing USCIS forms; gathering evidence.
- Advising clients about applications for public benefits;
- Working with all IWR staff, including staff working in employment, human trafficking, and migrant farmworker law;
- Making appropriate referrals to outside agencies;
- Assisting with grant reporting requirements;
- Working with pro bono attorneys, and
- Other relevant duties as determined by the Supervising Attorney and Director.
Qualifications: Applicants must have a college degree; be fluent in Spanish; be committed long-term to public interest legal services; have strong oral and writing skills; be highly organized; have experience working with survivors of trauma, domestic violence and sexual assault; have a driver’s license and good driving record; and have team-centered work experience.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Salary: Dependent on experience. Generous fringe benefits.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and the names of two professional references to:
Please type “IWR Paralegal” in the email subject line. This position will remain open until filled.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
LAF values diversity, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate on the basis of disability and encourages candidates with experience working with our client population to apply.