Details: Dependent on experience
1285 66th Street
Join a wonderful community of amazing people working to help keep seniors in the area well nourished. J-Sei seeks a food-service professional to support the daily activities related to both our onsite congregate lunch program as well as our home-delivered meal program. Duties include both supervising and getting hands on with the cooking, preparation, packaging and delivery of our fast-growing Japanese senior-congregate and home-delivered meals and managing a group of around 90 dedicated kitchen and driver volunteers. This position requires an organized, positive, and energetic people person who is flexible and able to respond quickly to unexpected changes. This position requires strong communication and people skills as this person will work directly with our amazing volunteer teams and senior diners. This 20-hour per week position is located at the J-Sei, Inc. office at 1285 66th Street in Emeryville. This person will work under the supervision of the Senior Services Manager.
NUTRITION PROGRAM DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Works Monday through Friday from 9am to 1pm with daily team of volunteers to prepare and deliver meals to seniors. Food to prepare includes soup, salad and fruit. No entrees.
2. Oversee meal preparation, meal service/delivery and clean-up to assure program compliance with all regulatory agencies.
3. Greet seniors to the site, take reservations and establish a comfortable and inviting senior center atmosphere; follow up on seniors who fail to attend.
4. Foster a strong team of volunteers who are well prepared, autonomous and appreciated.
5. Receive, store and maintain inventory of food and food service supplies and notify supervisor when items need to be purchased.
6. Assist with cleaning and sanitation of kitchen and equipment after daily service.
7. Assures that laundry is cleaned once a week.
8. Records client no-shows, or new information and shares with supervisor.
9. Assist in monthly invoicing of county home delivered meal contracts.
10. Track refrigerator, freezer and food temperatures and other daily mandated kitchen paperwork.
11. Contact families when a senior does not answer the door.
12. Oversee volunteer schedule and attain substitute volunteers when needed.
13. Orient and train new volunteers.
14. Deliver meals to the client’s homes in the event of a volunteer no-show if possible.
15. Must have, or will attain within the first month of hire ServSafe certificate. Training is provided.
16. Able to work independently on kitchen duties.
17. Meet or exceed all county contract requirements.
18. Other duties as requested by the Senior Services Manager.
KITCHEN FACILITY MANAGEMENT
1. Maintain kitchen in safe and clean manner consistent with county health standards
2. Notify supervisor of any supply, equipment or maintenance needs.
The Senior Services Manager provides overall supervision of the position. Evaluations are conducted by the Senior Services Manager.
1. Minimum one-year of experience working in a small institutional kitchen.
2. Strong communication, listening and people skills, and the charisma and dynamism necessary to project and promote the J-Sei mission to seniors, volunteers and general community
3. Experience working independently and supervising staff/volunteers desirable.
4. Excellent organizational and quick problem-solving skills.
5. Ability to quickly adapt to changing conditions and maintain composure in a fast-paced unpredictable environment.
6. Ability to multi-task and prioritize multiple day-to-day operations in a fast paced environment
7. Ability to stand and walk for an extended period of time.
8. Ability to occasionally move files and supplies up to 25 pounds.
9. Valid California driver's license, auto insurance and a safe driving record.
10. Knowledge and experience in the provision of senior services or in the field of aging highly desired.
11. Knowledge of and experience with Japanese-American community is desirable.
12. Bi-lingual in Japanese/English helpful, but not required.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bi-lingual in Japanese/English helpful, but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to Diane@j-sei.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.