320 East 94th Street
The Mount Sinai Adolescent Health Center (MSAHC) delivers comprehensive, integrated medical and mental health services and prevention education to young people aged 10 to 24. It is the largest center of its kind in the United States providing confidential, quality health care, mental health and support services to underserved and at-risk youth, regardless of their ability to pay. At the MSAHC, young people can find a wide range of services specially designed for their needs, including: primary health care, sexual and reproductive health, counseling, support, mental health and family therapy, comprehensive psychological testing, dental care, optical services, legal services, nutrition, fitness, and wellness programs. MSAHC has an Integrated Transgender Health Service that provides a range of integrated, gender-affirming services to transgender and gender non-conforming youth. These services include primary medical care, hormone therapy, reproductive health care, individual therapy, family therapy, parent guidance, support group services and legal advocacy. In the past 5 years, about 550 transgender and gender non-conforming (TGNC) youth have participated in the program.
This new grant funded position will be part of an interdisciplinary team and provide social work services to TGNC youth and their families at the Mount Sinai Adolescent Health Center. Provide TGNC youth with individual, family, and group psychotherapy, intensive case management, crisis intervention, and health education as part of the interdisciplinary team. Provide evaluations for gender dysphoria and hormone- and surgery-readiness. Consult closely with medical providers and legal advocates who are working with patients. Provide counseling related to medical transition. Participate in an innovative model to engage and retain TGNC adolescents who have a variety of psychosocial concerns and histories of trauma. In addition, the social worker in this position will be expected to provide mental health assessments and interventions through MSAHC’s general mental health clinic.
Due to financial limitations of the grant, only candidates with no more than 3 years post MSW experience are eligible to apply.
· Experience working with TGNC youth.
· Experienced working with low-income, inner-city, at-risk adolescents.
· Experience working with populations with complex trauma histories.
· Ability to be flexible and use non-traditional approaches in working with young adults.
· Skillful in assessing clients’ needs in relationship to health and psychosocial functioning and establishing interventions accordingly.
· Experience delivering therapeutic interventions, such as preventive and risk- reduction models that reflect developmentally appropriate methods and materials.
· Excellent collaborative, clinical, communication, organizational and documentation skills.
· Skillful in collaborating with external resources and coordinating appropriate referrals.
· A solid working understanding of adolescent growth and development preferred.
· Working knowledge of regulations related to child abuse, child neglect, and other urgent care issues.
· Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send resume and cover letter at firstname.lastname@example.org
In Subject : "Social worker - TGNC