Senior Counselor - Summer Youth Program @ Bernie Wohl Center
- Job posted by Goddard Riverside Community Center
Full Time Temporary
647 Columbus Avenue
Intro/Program Description: Goddard Riverside Community Center Summer Day Camp at the Bernie Wohl Center provides programming to children ages 6-10 years. The program supports social-emotional growth through group activities and theme-based projects. Additional activities include art, chess, computer science, group games, percussion, stem activities, storytelling, music, swimming and field trips.
Purpose of Position: Senior Counselors are assigned to work with a group of co-ed children, divided into age groups, on a number of tasks including Chess, Computer Science, Literacy, Storytelling and social-emotional competencies. Senior Counselors work in unison with Group Leader and other group staff. Senior Counselors are expected to lead some activities. Together and through Group Work practice, our staff works to provide a positive and creative environment for the social and intellectual development of all participants.
Position Start: Monday, June 25
End Date: Friday, August 17
Role, Responsibilities, and Essential Duties
- Foster a learning environment that stimulates children’s creative growth and development
- Demonstrate professionalism & leadership – be a team member of 4 staff & a group of 25 children
- Maintain sound supervision and ensuring the safety of program participants at all times
- Assist in delivering educational, recreational and cultural programs to develop community and explore the summer theme through games trips and a performance project.
- Supervise youth and participate in all activities by building positive relationships with youth and peers, serving as a role model with respect to demeanor, communication and behavior.
- Work with children on developmental and emotional issues; encourage program participation and social skills development
- Teach and supervise, organized games, songs and assist the activity leaders, escort groups to and from activity areas and field trips and carry out other tasks as directed by Group Leaders.
- Fulfill administrative requirements (Assist in planning activities, schedules and special events, attendance records, incident report, & progress reports)
- Enforce program rules, identify & respond to camper behavior issues and carry out corrective action when needed by identifying and seeking to resolve conflicts and behavioral problems.
- Know and enforce ALL emergency procedures and follow all safety guidelines associated with all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for your campers’ safety and their whereabouts at all times.
- Attend staff training, weekly, meetings, case conferences, and supervision meetings
- Other duties as required and assigned by Program Director, ADED and/or DED
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- At least two years of experience working with children in groups
- High Diploma/Some college preferred
- Must be able to work between the hours of 8am and 6pm, Monday-Friday for training sessions
- Must have ability to work collaboratively
- Must have a sense of humor and a passion for youth development
- Must be able to pass the Sex Offender Registry and be physically able to work with children (via a doctor’s signed consent including TB screening)
- CPR/First Aid Certification a plus
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Create and able to implement plans for group participation
- Effectively supervise children
- Frequent bending, kneeling, walking
- Mostly Outdoors/ Some Indoors
- Supervision in water during swimming activities
Minimum Education Required