1640 Rhode Island Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.
The Human Resources Assistant is responsible for providing support to the Human Resources department in all aspects of human resources management. The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) is the nation’s largest civil rights organization working to achieve equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) people. We offer great benefits, an informal but fast-paced work environment, and the opportunity to gain experience in a variety of human resources areas.
· Places job postings/advertisements for open positions. Attends recruitment fairs with other employees.
· Assists and acts as backup to recruiters with using the HR applicant tracking system.
· Schedules candidates for interviews. Conducts reference checks and processes background checks.
· Maintains confidentiality and security of all employee and proprietary company information.
· Creates new employee packets and new intern packets. Updates forms as needed.
· Handles data entry for HRIS, benefits, and other systems with accuracy. Runs reports from HRIS as requested.
· Serves as the first point of contact for employee questions and requests. Develops an understanding of HRC’s benefits and policies in order to be able to answer most employee questions. Escalates issues as needed to other members of the HR team.
· May conduct orientations for incoming interns and may assist with orientation for new full-time staff.
· Assists with new employee onboarding. Processes and quality checks new hire paperwork.
· Helps coordinate and process new interns.
· Coordinates events such as training classes and employee awards presentations.
· Processes monthly credit card and expense reports.
· Updates organizational chart and updates HR sections of the HRC intranet.
· Fulfills requests for verifications of employment.
· Orders supplies and catering when necessary.
· Provides administrative support to organizational security planning efforts including coordinating security meetings and trainings and maintaining the emergency alert database.
· Maintains and files all HR-related records in compliance with employment law, keeping all department records (paper and electronic) well organized and up-to-date.
· Provides additional administrative support to the HR department.
· Performs various special projects.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor's degree (or equivalent work experience) required. Bachelor’s degree in HR or a related field preferred.
· One to two years of experience in HR preferred. Six to twelve months administrative experience required.
· Exceptional attention to detail and strong organizational skills are required, and are essential to succeeding in this role.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite and Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs and Drive).
· Experience with videoconferencing (Skype, GoToMeeting, Zoom, etc.) software preferred.
· Strong professional ethics and highest sensitivity in dealing with confidential information are required.
· Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously while prioritizing important issues.
· After initial training period, must be able to work on short- and long-term tasks and projects effectively without needing constant supervision.
· Commitment to high quality and timely work product a must.
· Must have the ability to interact professionally and effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
· Excellent customer service skills, strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to maintain composure and good judgment when dealing with deadlines, dissatisfied employees, or fast paced environment.
· Knowledge of or interest in LGBTQ issues is preferred. Sincere openness to learn about administering HR services to diverse groups of employees is required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please visit www.hrc.org/careers