3 Columbus Circle
Jazz at Lincoln Center (JALC) is one of the world’s leading performing arts organizations, with a mission “to entertain, enrich and expand a global community for jazz through performance, education and advocacy”. A 501(c)3 organization that is now in its 31st year, JALC offers a full concert season with the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra (JLCO) with Wynton Marsalis (and many guests) at its home of Frederick P. Rose Hall, “The House of Swing”, on the corner of Central Park at Columbus Circle in New York City; regularly tours the JLCO in the US and abroad; operates a wide array of educational programs, from WeBop for kids through the year-long high school music program “Essentially Ellington”, now in its second decade; and has begun a global suite of jazz advocacy initiatives ranging from free HD live webcasts and online teaching tools to local community-based advocacy programs.
The Development department currently seeks a dynamic Executive Assistant to join our team, reporting to and supporting the Vice President for Development. This position will interface with many of the organization's stakeholders – Board members, Board assistants, government and private funders and the Leadership Team. This person will also be the primary administrative liaison with the Board’s Nominating Committee and Development Committee and coordinate scheduling, develop agendas, and secure and distribute advance materials for that group’s work.
The successful candidate brings creative and critical thinking, embraces working independently, but also as part of the larger team. He/she can tackle projects both large and small and be an effective communicator and collaborator with the most junior staff person through the most senior Board members and outside donors. This person must have the judgment and experience to make many administrative decisions quickly and keep things moving in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. To succeed in this position, the successful candidate will be exceptionally organized, detail oriented, positive, high energy, and of impeccable integrity.
This position will greet callers and visitors in a welcoming manner and be approachable, courteous, pleasant and committed to making every interaction a positive one. Strong customer service capability and excellent professional telephone manner is necessary, and a demonstrated history of developing and maintaining positive relations with internal and external contacts is important. Must exhibit independent and sound decision making on complex and non-routine matters. Must be able to prioritize among competing urgent demands and exercise good judgment and common sense in managing unexpected and at times, challenging situations.
- Acts as a liaison and ensures smooth communications between the Vice President for Development and a broad range of constituents including board members, funders, partner organizations, and staff.
- Provides highly confidential executive level support including but not limited to extensive calendar management, managing contacts, and files and telephone coverage; this includes internal and external meetings for the Vice President with a variety of constituents.
- Arrange travel for Vice President and when appropriate, the Director of Principal Gifts.
- Provide administrative support by answering incoming phone calls, preparing letters, reports, and talking points, scheduling meetings, drafting minutes, and arranging travel.
- Maintain, organize, and update hardcopy and electronic donor files.
- Provide assistance with donor research, prospecting, and identifying VIPs at Dizzy’s Club Coca-Cola.
- Organize major donor meetings and assist with stewardship of Board and major donors (identifying and sending gifts, thank you notes, etc.).
- Produce a variety of correspondence including meeting follow-up notes (including input into Tessitura) and reports, as well as work with the Vice President for Development on electronic and hardcopy correspondence with the Board of Directors.
- Serve as back up to the Patrons Desk including house seat ticketing service for upper-level donors and board members, as well as provide professional customer service to annual donors and board members.
- Prepare, update and track all capital campaign pledge agreements.
- Help manage year-end reporting process to major donors and foundations.
- Maintain calendar of proposal deadline and process invoices and monthly credit card expense reports.
- Work with the Director, Data Analytics and Strategy and the Development Data Analyst to assist with both expense and income reporting.
- Assist with special projects or other departmental responsibilities and tasks as assigned.
- Serves as the liaison for the Nominating Committee, and keeps up to date all related information, including contact lists, bios, Committee lists and other materials.
- Handle incoming/outgoing calls and e-communications on behalf of the team as requested.
- Assist in managing communication to managers, staff, board, etc.
- Draft, review and proof a variety of high-quality written correspondence, agreements, memo, emails and other documents.
- Plan, organize and schedule meetings and conferences; prepare agendas and transcribe minutes.
- Safeguard the integrity of confidential information.
- Completes other relevant duties as needed.
- A Bachelor's degree required with a minimum of three years of direct experience with heavy administrative demands.
- Collaborative team player able to create and contribute to a positive, work environment and thrive in a fast-paced, ambitious and demanding environment with extraordinary attention to detail.
- Must have tact, integrity and exceptional judgment in confidential and complex situations, a proven ability to interact clearly and effectively with a broad range of people, the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and superior verbal and written communications skills are required.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite. Working knowledge of Tessitura software helpful.
- Articulate with excellent oral and written communication skills, able to listen, grasp concepts quickly and intuitively, follow instructions and express ideas and thoughts effectively. Intelligent, highly organized multi-tasker able to prioritize effectively.
- Must be willing to be available and accessible by the Vice President and “always on” to respond to issues.
- Must be available some nights and weekends as needed.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including generous vacation time, medical, dental, a defined contribution plan and deferred compensation plans.
Minimum Education Required