2725 Clifton Ave.
Digital Communications Organizer
Service Employees International Union, Local 1
St. Louis, MO
SUMMARY & JOB DESCRIPTION
SEIU Local 1 is growing its dynamic and energetic team and is seeking an effective Digital Communications Organizer to help us build our online community and support our online-to-offline lead-generation efforts in our higher education campaigns. This position uses new media and digital tools to organize, advocate on our issues, and increase member and community engagement. It is a public-facing position involving direct communication with our members, supporters, and the public via multiple online platforms.
The Digital Communications Organizer will work collaboratively across Communications, Field, and Political staff, and leverage technology to expand our reach, build support for our campaigns, and drive fundraising and offline engagement while enhancing the member and supporter experience. The ideal candidate has organizing experience, is already personally active on social media, and is passionate about things like ladders of engagement and moving people from online to offline activism (and vice versa).
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
• Organize, develop, and coordinate online-to-offline integration of members, potential new members, and supporters.
• Direct organizing conversations with higher ed members, to build membership, activate member leaders, and build worker power through action.
• Monitor online conversations and actively participate in them to build organization visibility and thought leadership.
• Develop an active, online network of members, workers, and supporters engaged in our campaigns.
• Find compelling member stories to help develop spokespeople.
• Create shareable online content including graphics, petitions, and more.
• Develop comprehensive communication strategies using mass text and email platforms.
• Participate in evaluation of digital content and campaign metrics to guide and inform future content and strategies as part of a culture of continuous, data-driven learning and evaluation.
• Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance.
• Proactively escalate issues, observations, opportunities, and insights to the Communications team.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• B.A. or B.S. in Communications, Public Relations, English, Journalism or related field.
• 5 years of related work experience or a combination of education and experience.
• A minimum of two years’ experience in field organizing.
• Very active user and consumer of social media.
• Demonstrated passion for progressive politics and social justice.
• Previous experience in online organizing, political campaigns, and/or customer service very advantageous but not required.
• Knowledge of trends of digital organizing, and of best practices for communicating via email, Facebook and Twitter.
• Familiarity with a range of online campaigning tools, tactics and strategies.
• Excellent writer, able to write concisely, clearly and quickly.
• Technologically savvy and able to learn how to use new databases, online platforms, etc. relatively quickly.
• Strong organizational and problem-solving skills. Ability to work independently, take a concept and run with it, while keeping team members in the loop on progress and feedback or support needed.
• A strategic and critical thinker, able to make the connections between issue areas and policies for diverse communities.
• Bilingual in Spanish strongly preferred.
• Required to work long and varying hours including weekends, nights and holidays. Requires constant use of independent judgment, self-motivation, and capability of doing all the above duties with minimal supervision.
• Occasional Driving is required. Travel both statewide and out of state with overnights and periods away from home may be required.
SALARY & BENEFITS
• Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience;
• Full benefits package including health insurance, a pension plan and available 401-K;
• Car and phone allowance; Moving expenses available.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: Submit a resume, cover letter and three writing samples at http://seiu1.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2kqigc47sji